Installing exhaust header, advice req'd & pn for temp se

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:02 pm

mikealdren wrote:I still haven't found Helicoils that are long enough. The ones I have found have a thread length similar to a nut of the same thread size but studs (and bobbins) require longer thread lengths.

Heli-coil inserts are available up to 15/16 inch long for 5/16-18 threads. Heli-coil is a division of Emhart Teknologies (sic) which is in turn owned by Black and Decker. Their UK operations are based in Birmingham. Ask them for the name of an industrial supply distributor in your area. You won't find the full range at automobile parts retailers. In the US I buy over the web from MSC (http://www1.mscdirect.com/). I don't know if MSC operates in the UK.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:47 am

Russ,
Many thanks, I knew there must be a supplier out there somewhere.
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:12 am

Mike, hi how's things.

I've found uni-thread.com are pretty good. (based in South Devon UK)They have differing lengths up to 3 x D. Typically pack of 10 inserts of this length is ?7.
Regards

Gerry

Note, now have my compressor installed and drive belt length figured out. Next step is near side engine mount.
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:15 pm

I am trying to figure out the exact part for the temperature sender to place order.

Mine appears to be approx. 3/8" threaded end., and uses approx. 11/16" wrench to fit it. The threaded end and wrench sizes do not fit standard sizes that well; I removed it using a crescent adjustable wrench. It has a single wire connection on the top. Engraved in the brass on one of the wrench flats is "B910". There is an adapter union to thread into the thermostat housing, and the sender threads inside the union.

Going off of the Paul Matty on line catalogue, page 17 electrical, he lists two for the Plus 2, but not sure which one I have:

Temperature transmitters
Standard type: MTTR050A
Large type: MTTR050B

The Lotus parts list I have lists 50 B 6083, but does not provide any dimensions.

As a follow-up, I took the part to a local shop, and they figure the threaded end on the sender is 1/8" NPT. It is slightly tapered.

Any help appreciated.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:55 pm

I worked on the car some more today.

I managed to get the last intact stud out using the recommended "Loctite Freeze and Release" product. This stuff cooled the stud and allowed it to be removed. Interestingly the stud came out completely dry of penetrating fluid, but it did come out.

I re-drilled the broken stud and re-tapped the hole. Looks like it should align OK with the header flange, but it might be off centre enough that it would not work with the stock cast manifold.

Purchased Allen bolts and swivel style wrench as recommended. Looks like this upgrade should work well.

Still having trouble putting the header pipes in place, even with the left motor mount removed. Will try tomorrow after removing the alternator and the other brake servo to provide more clearance.

Good catch is I think I have found the source of considerable vibration in the steering wheel. The rather large Delco alternator is actually touching the steering shaft! I expect I can fudge this into place with a slightly shorter belt.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:28 pm

Stu

Regarding the temperature sender, If there's an adaptor screwed into the thermostat housing you'll need the standard part. The large one is when there's no adaptor fitted.

Also, remember that when fitting the headers you must feed them both up into position together. If you attempt to do them one at a time, you'll never get the second one in.

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:08 am

Thanks Andy for info on the sender. I will get one on order right away.

Using your advice I was able to feed the pipes into position from below. Sure helped to have a second set of hands to guide them from the top. The alternator and second servo needed to be removed to provide clearance. Needed to remove alternator anyway due to fouling the steering column; the Delco unit is simply too big for this application and will need to be replaced.

The headers are all buttoned up now with the recommended Allen bolt fasteners and gaskets in place. Think I will unfasten them one at a time to add some anti-seize to the threads.

Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers!
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: