Replacement plug leads

PostPost by: jimbo » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:31 am

Wire or Carbon?

My car had a mismatched set of carbon leads which has been bugging me from day one. I took the leads off last weekend and for some reason the PO had stripped the replacement (mismatched) lead back to just expose the carbon core and then somehow clamped the wire just using the core. :shock:

All the other leads were cut of at 90 degress with the screw piercing the leads to make the connection which I presume is the correct technique? The locating pin for the stripped back lead is very corroded so it looks like it's been making a poor connection - I am hopeful this is the cause of my hesitation between 2.5 and 3k rpm.

PM sent me a set of new leads, but they are a very plain set of black wired cables (I know, I am a tart) so I was considering a set of replacement carbon leads instead.

Anyone got any recommendations for going for carbon or wire? I don't have a radio so interference isnt a consideration. I just want the best possible spark and something that looks pretty!

:D
72 Sprint DHC
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:58 am

jimbo wrote:Wire or Carbon?
I don't have a radio so interference isnt a consideration. :D

You might not be worried about radio interference but I bet your neighbours will be upset when they are watching a soccer game on TV. and you start your car. :lol:
I prefer wire leads with a suppressor on the plug but thats just me :roll:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:48 am

Get a set of magnecors from the Elan Factory see http://www.elanfactory.com.au/pdf/produ ... 0parts.pdf (scroll down)

You'll do well to beat that price....

Robert
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:37 pm

I use these.....

http://www.kingsborne.com/

cheers
G
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:40 pm

forgot to mention that theyre about half the price of the magnecour sets too......
$25...or $30.....
thats probably about ?17~?18......

:D
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:04 pm

PM sent me a set of new leads, but they are a very plain set of black wired cables (I know, I am a tart) so I was considering a set of replacement carbon leads instead.

I bought a new set over the counter at PM and they were blue silicone leads.. Maybe they do different types but they didn't give me an option..?
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:36 pm

Robbie693 wrote:

I bought a new set over the counter at PM and they were blue silicone leads.. Maybe they do different types but they didn't give me an option..?

They sent me them FOC as part of some work I had done, so maybe I just got their cheapest version! :D

I've been told Sue Miller does some nice ones. Does anyone use those?
72 Sprint DHC
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:34 pm

I bought some Magnecore leads from the Club Lotus parts fair last year, I think they were from QED. I have a later dizzy which takes push in leads, rather than the ones which use a small screw to hold them in which helps. I wish they were ?17-?18, they were double that but do the job nicely...

Carl
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: