Plus 2 Heater Refurb

PostPost by: danielbargh » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:42 pm

I'm just in the process of refurbing my heater before I put the new dash in. Does anyone have a picture of the metal panel that moves to direct the airflow, I think it should have some rubber flaps/seals round the outside but there is nothing left on mine and I'm not sure how wide they need to be.

Thanks

Daniel
danielbargh
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: smokey73 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:38 am

Daniel,

I have a complete heater box from my +2S out and in a storage trailer nearby. I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can post some pictures from all around. Not sure exactly what you are looking for in the way of pictures but I'll get several and maybe one will be what you need.

Dan
smokey73
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:11 am

Daniel,
I did mine earlier this year. After searching for a suitable alternative seal, I gave up and used strips of car inner tube.

The trouble is that my new rubber seal will not last as long as I had hoped a modern alternative would.

The picture attached was clipped from a larger picture but I hope it gives what you need, I don't think the actual width is critical, its not an airtight seal. I triimmed the seal so that it doesn't foul the rest of the box.

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:00 am

I did mine earlier this year too, I got new rubber strip from Woolies Trim, flat rubber strip 50mm x 1.5mm I think I cut the width down to the same as the original trim:

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-124-strip.aspx

Pics of the original stuff:
Attachments
P1030210.jpg and
P1030211.jpg and
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:25 pm

I also used neoprene rubber sheet cut to fit. I noticed that the rubber was too thick and made movement through the opening difficult.

I cut it to minimum dimension to get it to travel smoothly. I remember the seal I removed from under the securing strips as a fabric like.

It is possible that a thin flexible "rubberized fabric" was originally used.

Did anyone have a similar experience?

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:45 pm

I hope to a job on my +2 heater soon, I know the flaps are not sealing. :(

Has anyone identified a modern, more powerful fan motor to replace the original ?

Sean Murray
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: yandy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:27 pm

rdssdi wrote:
It is possible that a thin flexible "rubberized fabric" was originally used.

Did anyone have a similar experience?

Um, sort of. This is an unusual '60s folding kayak / '60s Lotus question - I may have found my niche.

Rubberised fabric was used for folding boat hulls. Now the best (and better) alternative is Hypalon (it's not vulcanised), which is used amongst other things to build and repair rigid inflatable boats (RIBs) these days. There are a couple of suppliers selling small repair sections on e-bay.
Exceedingly yellow '68 +2

Todays top tip: create a spooky lighting effect by forgetting to switch off and remove your torch from the nose area before refitting the grille.
yandy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:12 am

I purchased a new fan motor. As the original it is rather anemic. Try Transport Heater and Hose in the UK.

New motor was reasonably priced.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: