Sump guard/exhaust protection

PostPost by: Foxie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:06 pm

CBUEB1771 wrote:
Sean,
From the link I posted, click on "Elan" and then "Exhaust" The standard clamp and gearbox bracket are items 20 and 21, respectively, seen at the upper left corner of the drawing. These of course are for the three-rail Cortina box. I didn't realize you had a T-9 derivative. Your brackets are probably very similar in concept but would not fit directly to the four speed box.

Yes, I see them now :D

The concept is exactly the same, but the attachment to the T9 is just a little different. The gearbox bracket not only stops the complete exhaust being detached on a "grounding", but it also enables the pipe to be high and very close to the chassis, without actually vibrating against it.

Sean
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:50 pm

picture
Attachments
g-box-exh.JPG and
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan71 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:36 pm

Do you need the bracket if you have a fabricated manifold?
My 71 Sprint doesn?t use it, I always assumed it was to support the joint to the cast manifold.

Alan.
alan71
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:06 pm

alan71 wrote:Do you need the bracket if you have a fabricated manifold?
My 71 Sprint doesn?t use it, I always assumed it was to support the joint to the cast manifold.
Alan.

You may get along fine without the GB bracket, as I did myself for many years. :)

However, the GB bracket gives a third point of support to the mainfold/downpipes and reduces engine vibrational stresses on the manifold and mainfold/ports joint (the manifold studs give only linear support along the port line).

It also definitely helps to resist the main pipe being dragged back off the Y-pipe joint in the event of "grounding" :D

Sean
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:35 pm

Sean

I have this bracket too - but mine is a bit wimpish. the original which is still available - I saw sue Miller has them - was too small for the diameter of my pipe. My bracket was primarily to hold the pipe up tight to the gearbox and underside of the car, but I see now I can use a beefier one to protect the system - although, is there a fear that the rear box will take a bigger beating when grounding - hey, I can drive home with no rear box, but not without a centrepipe.

Just remembered this:

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/viewtop ... ght=#77636
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan71 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:52 pm

Sean, I think you?re right the bracket is worth having.
I remember once driving over 100 miles home after I broke the centre pipe off. It was deafening, you could see people 100 yards ahead on the motorway looking round to see what hell was going on.

Alan
alan71
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:22 pm

SADLOTUS wrote: Hey, I can drive home with no rear box, but not without a centrepipe.

When I lost the complete centre pipe and silencer in the suburbs of Milan, (heading for Cherbourg) I had to drive about two miles to an exhaust shop, on open mainifolds. A cop car with 4 Carbinieri on board followed us for most of the distance, but did not seem to notice the ear-splitting noise. Maybe they thought it was normal for "Dissa leetle Inglesia Lotus " :D
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:35 pm

Today in class I made this, not very pretty, but should do the job.
Deserves a housepoint I think.

BTW, will driving without a centerpipe/exhaust damage the engine?
Attachments
clamp.jpg and
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:47 pm

SADLOTUS wrote:Today in class I made this, not very pretty, but should do the job.
Deserves a housepoint I think.

Excellent, go to the top of the class. :)
And remember, Function determines Form :D
BTW, will driving without a centerpipe/exhaust damage the engine?

No ! not unless your annoyed neighbours attack it with a lump hammer :lol:

Sean Murray
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: