Coil Cable Mismatch

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:13 pm

This is a follow-on from my intermittent stalling problem. Along with rebuilding the distributor (new poiints, rotor, condenser, and cap) , I also put in a new set of HT leads. I have a coil to go in too but just discovered it has a screw terminal for the HT lead and my lead is the push-in type. Does anyone kknow where I can get an adapter or how I can ensure a secure contact between coil and cable? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:50 am

If you look at your old coil you may see that the push on tab(s) on the coil are a screwed on 'unit'.

You should be able to unscrew this little 'unit' from the coil and screw it onto your new coil.

Where in Galway are you? (I probably asked before....blame it on my age :))

My next trip to Galway has been delayed till late January. But if you're near to the city I'd live to see the car (while parking mine miles away from you're in 'paint' shame)

Best of luck!

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:28 pm

Are you talking about LT or HT here? I thought the question was about HT.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:13 pm

paddy wrote:Are you talking about LT or HT here? I thought the question was about HT.

Paddy

That's right, Paddy.
Peter, even I'm not that dumb! The LT tabs attachment is obvious. It's the HT side I don't know how to adapt!.

'67 S3 SE FHC

Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:10 pm

Ok. I'm still learning but thanks to the input from other members, I've had a chance to stop and think. I also looked at an old Ducelier coil from my Mini and saw that the coil push-in contact is a metal cap screwed intothe top of the coil. By swapping this cap to my new coil, I can now use it with the cable I have. The bad news (other topic under Elans - Help please engine problem) is that the coil wasn't the problem. Still don't know what is. :(
Just thought I'd update this so anyone else trying to match coil and cable can see the solution! :wink:

'67 S3 SE FHC

Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: