Oil Slinger

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:15 pm

Last week a friend and I pulled the engine on 4910 to staunch the persistent oil leaks that were coating the bottom of the car and the garage floor. Like Gary, I am pretty tolerant of drips and so have replenished the oil instead of addressing the leaking seals. Finally, I decided to do something before spring and when we pulled it front seal, found both the front and rear seals were dry and worn and not sealing at all well. In addition, the oil slinger cup thingy was missing.

I really don't want t pull the head and front cover as the engine has been running well and everything we see is in great condition, but I think that is the only way to replace the slinger. So my question is: How important is that slinger. Can I live without it as long as the seals are renewed?

Any counsel from the knowledgeable engine folks is most welcome as I am tempted to tempt fate and just button it back up with new seals. :oops: As I said I am pretty tolerant of a few drips. :roll:
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:27 pm

Ross,
As I understand it, the slinger has two "opposing" type functions. 1.0 To keep excessive oil away from the front seal and 2.0 To help direct oil towards the timing chain.

(If it wasn't necessary I'm sure someone would have spotted it and won the Ford suggestion scheme maximum award as a result!)

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:48 pm

Ross, it's been a while since I've done a front seal but doesn't the front cover need to be pulled to replace the seal? Is it not installed from the backside?

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:35 pm

And I don't see how you could get the old front seal out with the front timing cover in place.

However are there not two types of seal, one a rubber & spring thingy and one a rope ring.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:39 pm

billwill wrote:And I don't see how you could get the old front seal out with the front timing cover in place..

elan-f15/front-pulley-seal-t20164.html
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:58 pm

types26/36 wrote:
billwill wrote:And I don't see how you could get the old front seal out with the front timing cover in place..

elan-f15/front-pulley-seal-t20164.html

Ah, so it is relatively easy.
:x

<slinks off to detention in the corner>
:roll:
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:00 am

Thanks for the input. As noted by Brian, the seal can be removed without taking off the front cover, in fact I have done so which is how I came to discover the slinger problem. I had an email from an Elan enthusiast who suggested I machine a replacement slinger to fit within the front cover opening and it would provide 90% of the benefit. That seems a reasonable idea. Or as Richard suggests, is it critical and worth the effort to do it right?
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:57 am

The slinger is desirable and a reduced diameter one that just fits through the front cover opening with the seal removed will provide 99% of the benefits in terms of keeping the oil away from the seal iself

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:20 pm

Once again I am saved by the expertise of other owners. I appreciate all the help. Thanks to all.
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:59 pm

So I am in a similar position to Ross in finding my engine is missing the oil slinger but not in position to remove front cover to replace it.

From this thread it seems best things is to fit a modified slinger rather than continue to run with out it. I thought of two ways to modify the slinger and interested in people thoughts on them.

1: simple remove material to reduce the outer diameter so it will pass through the front oil seal opening. As suggested here.

2: cut slots in the outer section to make tangs, bend the tangs over, insert into engine and straighten tangs back.

I think two will give me a slightly more functional slinger but might be a bit more risk of tangs being damaged and risking contact with timing chain. There's nothing in the area that could cause that to happen and centrifugal force likely act to keep them straight rather than bend.

Any thoughts?
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:49 am

As I wrote in 2012 :D , how time flies when your having fun
I would put in a reduced diameter slinger

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:16 am

Thanks Rohan. I was leaving that way as more I thought about it the cutting bending tabs just seemed to be more risky...
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:42 pm

I’m not sure it’s there to lubricate the timing chain, I suspect lots of oil flow down to do that. I think it’s there to help keep oil from the front seal. When it’s fitted it leaves a small gap to the seal. I once built a crossflow and fitted it the wrong way round. I couldn’t understand why I had oil leaking though the screw thread inside the crank pulley. That was fixed with some sealant. When I next took it apart I found my error, fixed it and it never leaked again.
Last edited by Donels on Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:07 pm

Yeah its primary purpose may well be to stop oil running down the crack to the seal but not a fire design engineer so any know for sure.

I've been chasing persistent oil leaks, on this strip down it's clear I didn't get the sump seal over the front crank seal correct. Looks like I left it too long and causing a gap between the seal and front cover letting oil get out. Likely not helped by increased oil flow in that area due to lack of the slinger.

Got a few minutes so have modified and fitted slinger. Had to trim it just slightly on to the angled piece for it to pass through the opening for the front seal. Include a photo for people's reference.
Attachments
PXL_20240324_152822144.jpg and
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: