AKS water Pump Module Strip?

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:57 pm

Roger, looking at your old pump bits above, I suspect that there may once have been a carbon disc against the impellor for the seal to press on and that it simply disintegrated from old age and the small bits are still wandering around your cooling system somewhere.

Not that it matters now of course.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:05 pm

billwill wrote:Roger, looking at your old pump bits above, I suspect that there may once have been a carbon disc against the impellor for the seal to press on and that it simply disintegrated from old age and the small bits are still wandering around your cooling system somewhere.

Not that it matters now of course.

Bill, there was never a carbon disc just a one piece seal and a slinger - as shown in my '72 edition of the workshop manual. I think the extra carbon disc and the later rubber/ceramic disc were each design modifications presumably to prolong the life of the pump - the later editions of the manual show the revised design.

Water pump assembly diagram 001.jpg and
'72 edition workshop manual

Water pump assembly diagram (later type).jpg
Later workshop manual
Water pump assembly diagram (later type).jpg (63.08 KiB) Viewed 559 times

My kit was purchased in 1987 which must have been after the modifications were introduced but I guess old stock was still being used up in service. It failed because the engine was laid-up without coolant so the impeller face rusted and subsequently tore the lip of the seal - probably wouldn't have happened with the later seal arrangement ......... another lesson learnt :wink:

Water pump repair 026.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: