Help!

PostPost by: Davidb » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:55 pm

OK all you geniuses! I just pressurised the oil system in my newly rebuilt, newly installed engine and oil is pissing out of the front l/h side of the timing cover. My assumption is that either I left out the gallery plug or it is loose... I am just about to rip the head off-that will be off within half an hour but do I need to remove the engine?
I did such a lovely job of sealing the sump. :(
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:27 pm

When you fitted the head gasket,was it butting up to the front cover back-plate or overlapping it.....was the front cover back-plate flush with the block....the main oil feed to the head is in that corner.

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:47 pm

I don't think there was any interferance there. I have the head off and trying to get the front cover off but it looks like engine out time...
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:11 pm

OK, as you were. Somebody forgot to install the front left gallery plug!
Stupid bugger...
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:40 pm

Davidb wrote:I don't think there was any interferance there. I have the head off and trying to get the front cover off but it looks like engine out time...

I doubt that you can get the front of the timing case off without lowering the sump. :(
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:44 am

Actually Bill, I managed to get it off and on again! Whether it will keep oil in remains to be seen.
It was fiddly but by cutting through the joint at both sides and then prying the joint apart at the bottom I sprang it loose.

I cut the oil pan gasket off flush with the block on both sides and used the front corners of spare gaskets to replace them having cleaned everything thoroughly. I used Permatex "The Right Stuff" to seal it. This stuff is quite remarkable for stopping oil leaks. If I have to take the engine out later so be it...

I feel very stupid of course. I did not remove the oil plugs, the machine shop did but somehow I missed replacing that one.

Two and a half weeks to go to the Spring Thaw Rally here in BC and it is getting tight!
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: