best method for cleaning head gasket surfaces

PostPost by: dgym » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:09 am

Hiya,
I'm at the point of cleaning both the head and block in preparation for the new head gasket.
I'd like to be able to do it at home if possible. I have a DVD about a twin cam rebuild and have done lots of googling and there seems to be a massive amount of differing opinion about what will either clean or ruin a surface. The gent in the DVD uses emery cloth wrapped around a straight file and it seemed you could see scratches in the head after he did this.

so far I've been using a straight blade very gently scraping which has made the surface of the head smooth to touch but I can still see remnants of gasket. Or is it just staining?

Does anyone have any good methods to get clean surface on head and block? Or perhaps a suggestion on how good is "good enough"

cheers,
_jim
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:41 am

CRC gasket remover and scrape very carefully with a flat bladed scraper to remove any stuck bits. Clean up with a degreaser, stiff plastic brush and soft cloth until you have clean bare metal is what I do

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dgym » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:24 am

Thanks Rohan :)
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:36 am

And if you want to be real careful, get a piece of perspex and sharpen it up to use as a scraper.
It's not as hard as steel and is way less likely to dig a hole in an aluminium surface.

It'll need re-sharpening from time to time, ( on your bench grinder), but you can get it surprisingly sharp.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rady32md » Tue May 23, 2017 10:01 am

I've heard that acetone and thinner work great also for cleaning the surface of the heads.
rady32md
New-tral

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue May 23, 2017 10:27 am

+1 I also finish with acetone
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Tue May 23, 2017 4:41 pm

+2 for acetone and a suitable scraper that will not be melted by the acetone. Use latex gloves not pvc/vinyl, as these will be melted by the solvent. DO NOT use it without some hand protection (a little is OK) as it defats skin (you don't want to know) and is nasty stuff. Also use in a well ventilated area, pref outside. But it works brilliantly.

Or, take it to a machine shop!

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: