Hart breather

PostPost by: jono » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:59 pm

I never got around to this but have decided I must do it after cleaning up the front cover and finding oil trying to force it's way out of several of the bolt heads, the tensioner pivot and, of course, the good old timing chest gasket, after a spirited drive (I do drive the car quite hard)

Does anyone has an off the shelf solution - plumbers merchant/gas fitting of similar that will work? I'm resigned to drill and fit in the front of the cam cover and was thinking I will need at least 1/2" internal bore. I'm not buying the grossly overpriced 'Hart' breather!

There seem to be a few 90 degree brass fittings with BSP threads and barbed ends on the net but none that I can seem to find from a UK supplier.

John C - your's looked ideal, can you recall where you obtained it from?

Any suggestions gratefuly received :D
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:38 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRASS-Elbow- ... lmmT9cVmKQ

22mm compression elbow , can't remember the thread size bit tapped the hole to suit , and a breather pipe of the right diameter to thread onto the fitting..

Probably half the price at your local plumbers merchants , have some in the shed ,and if you want me to tap the cam cover for you , no problem...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:54 pm

I tried a plumbing fitting and it worked Ok but I didn't like the look of it. Then a much cheaper copy of the Hart Breather came up for sale on ebay and I have been using that for 18 months or so. I notice the item is not for sale anymore but if you contact the seller directly he may be planning on making more-I recommend them:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lotus-TwinCam-C ... T9&vxp=mtr
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:37 pm

I have sent the seller a message to ask if he is going to be selling them again.
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:06 pm

Thanks David,

Can I ask if your breather cure your oil leaks?

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:03 pm

Yes it did. I had tried a breather in the fuel pump blanking plate and it was terrible! Served as an oil pump to the catch tank-the Hart breather works properly and the only thing coming out is condensation.
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:54 pm

Great, many thanks for the comments.

Let me know if the guy in the US is making any more.

Cheers, Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:33 am

It is not good news I am afraid-I just received this email from the seller:

Hi David,

Thank you for your interest.

The part you are inquiring about was made specially for the high performance and racing Lotus Ford TwinCam engine. That is why it worked and fit so well. Unfortunately, I am in the process of selling off all my inventory as I get ready to retire. I have no plans to produce any more of the unique bits I manufactured back in the past. I'll double check my inventory, but I am fairly certain that all of those items have been sold.

Thanks again for your interest.

Rats!!
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:25 am

Thanks for checking this David.

Could I ask a small favour - could you give me some basic dimensions for the breather, including internal dia, as I intend to fabricate one?

Cheers

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:04 pm

I will measure the breather and post the result. It might not be today though.
I doubt anyone would give us original drawings! :?
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: