Vegantune engine info

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:02 am

Bill, I think you are right about Finchley, I can't recall the guys name that bought Vegantune at that time (I still have his card somewhere) but I met him and he spoke about all sorts of plans for the company and that he had all the 'good guys' working for him. He came across as knowing a lot but how much in reality I never got to find out.

My interest was sparked because I used to live relatively close to George Robinson's set up at Cradge Bank and whenever passing would stop for a quick chat. George was a very imaginative engineer and always impressed me with his forward thinking, but I lost touch with them when we moved away from the area in the mid 1980's. It was a sad day when they had to fold and I don't know what happened to George and his son later, does anyone else know?

Also I had contact with a guy only about six weeks or so ago that had two of the VTA units, one a wet sump 140bhp and the second was a full dry sumped unit 175bhp. I think both were sold to Elan owners from what he said, but in relative terms they were not expensive, the first was about £5000 and the latter about £6000, bot appeared to be in good order and ready to fit without additional work.

I must say I was extremely tempted and perhaps with hindsight should have bit the bullet, but too late.
Thanks to Phil for putting all the Vegantune info he has just inherited onto the Forum for all to read.

I guess now in my old age I am becoming quite nostalgic, but with many happy memories on recall, perhaps like many other members, my only regret being that nowadays I can eat my dinner faster than getting under or from under my cars!
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:19 pm

His name is Richard Marshall.

I had quite a lot of work done on my S3 Coupe by Vegantune Finchley after I had pranged the front of my Elan on the North Circular Road. They had my Elan for nearly a year around 1992 doing various mods including a cassette water pump, electric fuel pump as well as the fibre-glass repair & repaint.

To stay mobile, I bought from them an old XR2, which they had been planning to turn into a race car, but too much other work intervened. Sadly several years later, I forgot to change the XR2 timing belt & it broke & wrecked the engine on a trip to Manchester & I ended up sending it to a knackers yard there. Supposedly for £40 but I never saw that cash

I developed a new Website for Vegantune Finchley, but it was never deployed properly and as noted above Vegantune of Finchely moved to Borehamwood, but eventually collapsed too.

I don't know what Richard Marshall is doing nowadays. but as I mentioned above, Rob Morley , who used to be the main engine mechanic at Vegantune Finchley had left before the bust and now operates as Protune Racing Ltd in Potters bar. He knows lots about those Vegantune engines and Twinks. I still ask him to do any of my tricky engine work.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:53 pm

By the by, I wrote an article on the Evante for Club Lotus News only last year. Here it is:

Tim
Attachments
Jul 2021The Vegantune Evante.pdf
(557.33 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:25 pm

trw99 wrote:By the by, I wrote an article on the Evante for Club Lotus News only last year. Here it is:

Tim

Very interesting reading, thanks Tim
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: