Camshaft oilways

PostPost by: tim22 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:46 pm

Hi
Recently stripped engine intially to solve oil leaks but ended up replacing shells, rings, and usual stuff. It's been a bit of start-stop job but blew compressed air down all oilways as far as I can remember. Engine now back in and today followed advice on the forum by priming the engine (60lb pressure) and then turned over on starter for a short while with plugs out. Observed that when both priming and turning over oil reached the exhaust camshaft noticeably but not the inlet. Removed end plug to inlet cam and put an airline inside - air reached the exhaust cam bearings along the whole length significantly but only marginally to front bearings of inlet cam. Also noticed very slight air leak past no. 5 headbolt - this I think is next to the oilway to the inlet cam.
Is there a problem here and should I stop to figure out what's happening or should I try to start the car tomorrow and run it for a while before lifting the cam cover again to check the inlet cam is being properly oiled? Also wondering whether a leak between the oilway and no.5 bolt is an issue - from photos I took there is a tear-shaped recess here close to the bolt and maybe in normal operation the gasket will seal everything - thinking it would do no harm to add a small dab of wellseal under the bolt washer for good measure?
Any suggestions why the two cams are being oiled differently and leak past the head bolt and suggestions whether it's safe to fire the engine up would be really appreciated - thought best to stop and ask rather than risk ruining the work so far. Thank youi.
tim22
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:07 pm

Any updates?
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: