plumbers (oil) wanted: no oil pressure

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:58 pm

hi - i just noticed a hose which leaks: coming from the sump going back to the pressure/engine side. the question is: will i regain pressuren when the scavenge side hose is fixed?? i hope so sandy pls help?or confirm
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:37 am

Hi Sandy
Do you have dry sump set up ? If so the scavenge line goes from the sump to the pump to the oil tank. There then is a line from the tank back to the pump and to the engine. A small leak in the scavenge hose from the sump should not matter as that stage is designed to suck a mixture of oil and air anyhow.

If no oil pressure you need to ensure the hoses are connected to the correct pump ports as the first step in troubleshooting

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:09 am

yes, a dry sump ..... i didnt change anything rohan! the hose from the oil pan goes to the filter and then back to the pump: that hose leaks terribly, so there's hardly enough coming back: it's on the floor! i'm going to my workshop and will make a new hose AND FIGURE i'll get pressure again! thanks for another hint sandy PS: ill know this in 2 hrs
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:22 am

el-saturn wrote:yes, a dry sump ..... i didnt change anything rohan! the hose from the oil pan goes to the filter and then back to the pump: that hose leaks terribly, so there's hardly enough coming back: it's on the floor! i'm going to my workshop and will make a new hose AND FIGURE i'll get pressure again! thanks for another hint sandy PS: ill know this in 2 hrs

Not desirable or normal to have the filter in the scavenge line to the pump as this flow is largely air and running under suction which will make filtration hard especially if any significant pressure drop in the filter. It is normally best in the pressure line from the pump discharge back to the engine or at least in the pump suction line from the oil tank

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:37 pm

i was wrong i guess: the scavenge side is in the top part/away from block where i come from the pan thru the outer part into the oilcooler/radiator then into the top of the tank and then into the pressure side where the leftover prts take the oilfilter - its a 5port brian hart pump! sandy ps- i haven't put any thought to a dry sump system since 1980 and it looks to be right
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: