Relay in addition to starter solenoid?

PostPost by: disquek » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:41 pm

The PO of my car (S4 with BDP) had installed a regular relay between the key and the starter solenoid.

The starter is a Tilton Super Starter hi torque.

I've never seen this previously. Before I remove the relay, I wanted to see if maybe the Elan key switch wasn't up to the current required by the solenoid or if there was some other issue that I wasn't aware of.

Thank you!!!
-Kyle
'70 S4 Elan - Cosworth BDP & Spyder Chassis
'62 S2 Super Seven Cosworth
disquek
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:09 pm

Are you sure the po has not put all the Cables on th same Terminal of the Original Starter Solenoid to use as a Terminal Block. I think the Tilton has an internal Solenoid. The Relay is to stop too much power going through the Ignition Switch.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: disquek » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:24 pm

Yes. I'm sure.

The PO has put a relay between the key and the solenoid. So the key activates the relay. The relay activates the solenoid.

-Kyle
'70 S4 Elan - Cosworth BDP & Spyder Chassis
'62 S2 Super Seven Cosworth
disquek
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:56 pm

Maybe fitted to get around old wires and connectors resulting in sufficient voltage drop, especially when hot, resulting in failed start.
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:04 pm

The inductive nature of the solenoid activating coil tends to make the starter contacts on the ignition switch spark and burn, so fitting a relay as described lengthens the lifetime of the ignition switch.

Relays are cheaper and more readily available than ignition key-switches.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:14 pm

I think there have been bits of debate on this already (I'm rather tired now to look it up).

I'm hoping to use a relay to the intergrated solenoid on my starter motor (I have no old loom for reference and have not looked up the details).

Could someone sketch up a diagram showing the best solution that does not damage the ignition switch or the starter by any chance ? Recommendations on relays would also be very appreciated !

Many thanks
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: