Quick question on engine removal

PostPost by: 74Twincam » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:59 pm

Lads,

I'm starting the process to remove the engine from my Sprint, and am at the beginning stage, have the radiator out and most of the external bits removed. I've read through the archive and am choosing to remove the engine separated from the gearbox, and note that I'll need to lift the engine up after removing the mounts in order to clear the front cross-member, then move the engine forward to separate from the bell housing dowels, then up and out. My question is- do I need to remove/loosen gearbox mounts in order to enable me to lift the gearbox as well to get a sufficient angle to move the engine forward?

Thanks!
Bill

This "seems" like it should be much easier than pulling the engine from my Europa...
Attachments
sump-to-crossmember.jpg
sump and front cross member clearance
sump-to-crossmember.jpg (118.92 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
Bill
1972 Elan Sprint
1974 Europa Special
74Twincam
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:31 am

I did the removal of my +2 engine a few months ago with the gearbox in place. I lifted the engine up a bit, then put a jackstand under the bellhousing. Didn't touch the gearbox mount. Easy as.
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 74Twincam » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:08 am

Thanks Chris!
I was at the end of my day- this lets me get started again tomorrow with a plan and saves me a bit of time
Best Regards
Bill
1972 Elan Sprint
1974 Europa Special
74Twincam
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:23 am

no need to touch the gearbox bracket! make sure you protect the front edge of the bonnet opening, as some of us know: been there, done that AND that is a very visible place to have an "engine-touchdown" - i get an engine out in less than 3hrs. i guess some of you here can do it in 2hrs! sandy (4-5 hrs to get her back where she came from, is she a she?)
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:48 am

For my money i think it helps to slack of the two bolts that mount the rubber gearbox mount.. Allows some lift. Also remove gear lever and cup. This allows the gearbox attitude to be lifted to aid engaging the two. Also prevents pulling on the gearbox rubber and tightness of the sump clearing the vac tank. No wishing to contradict but have done this way many times on both Elans and Plus 2's.
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 74Twincam » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:37 pm

Much appreciated- and thanks for the tip on the shifter
I'm approaching this a step at a time, like most new owners, I'm not sure what I'll find as I go so it's a bit of learning the car's design and a bit of maintenance archaeology at the same time
Bill
1972 Elan Sprint
1974 Europa Special
74Twincam
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Citromike » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:15 am

I?ve often heard Colin Chapman was 5?7? with a size 8 shoe. If you are that size you?ll fit the Elan perfectly ? for servicing as well as driving.

Engine removal isn?t impossible it?s mostly messy.

I also heard Chapman was searching for a one-legged driver for F1 who would allow Lotus to have a narrower front end.

I don?t think one-leggedness would help you in repairing the car though.

Continuing to waste your time, I bought the shirt off the Team Manager?s back at a charity auction once - he was a skinny guy too - I can no longer wear it. If only I could remember his name ...
Citromike
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: