Engine stuff - what does it all mean??

PostPost by: pabbage » Sun May 05, 2019 9:22 am

Hi clever engine folk ... can anyone translate this list of engine works that my sprint had before I took ownership and what all this actually means (in particular to the cam work) ... thanks in advance.
421e8a1e-46ab-44dd-ab5c-e55696012a99.jpeg and
Engine bill pg 1
6a0d7a7e-3692-470e-ba2d-4fbd53b99a8e.jpeg and
Engine bill pg 2
pabbage
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Sun May 05, 2019 10:52 am

that the engine was probably worn out some (unless there has been a mild lubrication issue maybe), then stripped and rebuilt (valves and guides changed - 6 oversize guides and not 8, crank reground though block not rebored (hopefully it was because the dimensions and piston condition were still within specs, not for saving - yet not even the rings were changed ...).
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun May 05, 2019 12:31 pm

In plain English - looks like a fairly full (read: "expensive") engine rebuild to me. It has performance cams in it from the looks of things, does the car go like stink? Has a lumpy tick over and deliver more power at the higher range of revs? And for that matter, does it rev freely past the redline?

I think I'd be pretty happy with it, if it runs properly now and doesn't smoke.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pabbage » Sun May 05, 2019 2:00 pm

Cheers both of you for the info! Very helpful.

The car hasn't been starting well since I got it in November and its been in for some work to try and remedy this. During this time they noticed the water pump was leaking, so the engine is coming out.

I'd not say it was too lumpy at low revs ? certainly not compared to cars I've driven with performance cams in the past. I just don't have any Elan/ twin cam experience to make a what is normal comparison.

It has been noted that compression was down on 'cylinder one' and there was some smoking - not something I'd noticed. I'm trying to understand - through the bills and history, and while the engine is out - if its worth exploring the lower pressure and smoking further. Or just leave the engine as is at the moment and try and get some mileage on it. Unfortunately the car has seen zero mileage in the last 6 months.

Thanks again for the advice so far.
pabbage
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun May 05, 2019 5:28 pm

OK... so what are the compression readings, do you know?

My Plus 2 was getting a lumpy idle until I checked mixture, balance and timing, now it is back to form. Bad news about the water pump, I assume you have no oil leaks? Mine leaks badly, so I am on course for an engine out job this year.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Mon May 06, 2019 3:55 am

Given that everything else has been replaced, I'd minimally replace the rings and break the glaze in the cylinders unless there is none. I'd also confirm the crank and head work was done. Peace of mind is worth a head gasket and a set of rings. That these were not done means either they were recent from some other work you don't have paperwork for, or the rebuild was the minimum to make the car serviceable (most likely). The cost and effort to do this while doing the rest of the work was and is pretty tiny.
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: