Burton cartridge water pump

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:41 am

mark030358 wrote:That looks wrong.
I have a spare module and some old bits I’ll take a look tomorrow. Stupid question you did fit the bearing the right way round as I think the shafts are different lengths.

Cheers

Thx Mark, I'd really appreciate it, something is definitely wrong...

I installed the bearing with the longer half of the exposed shaft through the pump to mount the impeller.

I had a heck of a job pushing the metal part of the seal into what I thought was the correct mounting bore of the housing. Does this long right to you?:
IMG_8947.jpg and
position of seal in housing, too far in?

IMG_8949.jpg and
Seal pressed into housing

IMG_8950.jpg and
Shaft end too far in...

I'm starting to wonder if I have the correct rebuild kit from Burtons or have made a stupid mistake...

p.s. How long is the bearing body & how long is the water pump shaft overall?
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:03 pm

An update:

1. On Burton instructions: Mea Culpa, I did not look hard enough... In the Burton box with return instructions, packing list etc was a folded set of instructions. They aren't particularly good, but in case anyone else is looking for instructions, here they are for both the standard Lotus Water pump overhaul & the Burton Water pump cartridge design:

2. And now the important bit (for me at least :roll: )
On the instruction sheet there is a note about the recess that the seal fits into & it's distance to the impeller surface:
BurtonInstructions_LTCWaterPumpRepairKit_FL304K_RecessDepth.pdf.jpg and

That 19mm (0.75") dimension is actually 1.085" on my cartridge, .335 longer, hence all my issues... I have a significantly modified cartridge...

So for now, all is clear, I just need to figure out how to adapt the parts to make my assembly work.

p.s. Thanks Mark for Photo's & dimensions confirming differences between a std cartridge & mine.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: