Alternator bracket

PostPost by: Donels » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:33 pm

My car was partially disassembled when purchased. Just rebuilt the engine and now found I have no brackets for mounting the alternator. Having searched the forum there appears to be a variety of mountings but I?m leaning towards the mounting kit sold by Kelvedon which comes with a 3 hole strengthening bracket. Any advice before I purchase?

Dave
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:40 pm

Solidity of fixing is always a good idea - so go for what yo thinks offers that.
There's a few threads on here discussing the issue and photos in the gallery.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:15 pm

Well what a huge disappointment. I did purchase the Kelvedon alternator mounting kit and much to my surprise nothing fitted!

To fit the bolts for the 3 hole strengthening bracket meant I needed to drill the threads out of my new back plate.
Err....not willing to do that.

The alternator mounting holes in the mounting bracket are much larger than the holes in the alternator. So to use the bracket means I have to drill larger holes in the alternator. Err....not willing to do that either.

The long bolt supplied that fits the larger holes is too short to fit the alternator, even if I had drilled the holes larger.

So the only way to fit the kit was to drill out the alternator and source two larger diameter bolts to suit the bracket and then source bolts with a longer thread to mount the 3 hole plate. No thanks. I bought a complete, expensive bit of kit not expecting to have to re-engineer it. And having found all these faults I have little faith that the bits will fit correctly.

Kelvedon have apologised and are giving me a refund.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:41 am

It is a pain when suppliers who should know better sell kit that doesn't fit.
Arguably, as you don't want to overload the water pump and alternator is lighter than dynamo a 'standard' bracket from one of the usual suspects will be good enough.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:52 am

This is what I did to mount the Kubota tractor alternator (via Gustafson/RDent):

AlternatorBracket_OEStyle.pdf
(68.14 KiB) Downloaded 373 times

FrontCover_Reinforcement_Bracket.pdf
(43.59 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:32 pm

Donels wrote:To fit the bolts for the 3 hole strengthening bracket meant I needed to drill the threads out of my new back plate. Err....not willing to do that.

Standard backplate uses nut & bolt fixings,not threaded holes.
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:33 pm

Yes I have just fitted a Burton cartridge water pump kit. They are different, but there is no excuse for the other issues.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:21 pm

I bought what sounds like the same kit from Kelvedon a year or so ago and had similar problems. Next time I was there I told them what problems I had so they could rectify it for future kits. Sounds like they didn?t bother. I have a lathe and milling machine plus a large and varied stock of nuts and bolts so made it fit ok, but it shouldn?t have been necessary.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:46 pm

I have bought a standard after market bracket and strap. It fits perfectly. I?m really not sure what Kelvedon think they?re selling but it?s definitely not for a standard alternator.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: