bonnet remove to adjust tappets

PostPost by: checkrail » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:54 pm

Hi I presume I need to remove the bonnet on my +2 when I do the tappets, otherwise how can you see to align the camshafts?
Thanks in advance John
checkrail
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Mick6186 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:06 am

Hi,
You do not need to remove the bonnet. Measure the clearances with everything (except the cam cover!) in place first. Make sure the engine is at TDC no. 1 firing stroke and put paint marks on the rear of the cam sprockets that line up with each other & the straight edge of the head. The timing chain can then be removed. I keep vertical tension on the chain using a bungee cord to a rafter above the engine in the garage. This is to stop the chain moving on the crank sprocket or jackshaft. Be careful when you remove the cam sprocket bolts that you don't drop the bolt or washer into the crankcase!. Also watch out that the cam dowels aren't loose & fall out!!
If you do choose to remove the bonnet it is a pig to realign and easy to damage the paint on the wings.
Mick
Mick6186
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: checkrail » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:26 am

Thanks Mick that's very helpful

John
checkrail
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:04 pm

checkrail wrote:Hi I presume I need to remove the bonnet on my +2 when I do the tappets, otherwise how can you see to align the camshafts?
Thanks in advance John

Removing the bonnet will make the job a lot easier.

I have fitted spring bolt of suitable diameter to replace the bonnet left side 7/16" unc bolt. Also I have drilled the bonnet stay stud to take a P clip.

I can remove and replace the bonnet in seconds. :)
Attachments
bonnetbolt.jpg and
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: