Lotus Elan

Building a double Cherry Bomb muffler for Elan S2

PostPost by: loueelotus » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi, I will be building with some friends a double Cherry Bomb muffler for my Elan S2 this winter to config into the muffler pocket of the Elan S2. What I am curious about is the sound that comes from this system. A single muffler is very loud 85 db It will sound lower but how much and will a double system sound nice? Please give me your take on that.. We have checked and it will fit nicely and powder coat it black. Here is a rough drawing with cuts still to be made to fit..

Regards,
Lou
Attachments
20190718_194423.jpg and
M bend to be cut and shortened
Louis Lottner
Elan S2 1965 #26-4840
loueelotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:49 pm

https://cherrybomb.com/
Disturbing the peace since 1968
I'd ask their tech support.
Fred Talmadge
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: loueelotus » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:54 pm

I asked them they have no idea. i also asked Summit and the same answer.. So I will experiment and see what happens..
Thanks,
Lou
Louis Lottner
Elan S2 1965 #26-4840
loueelotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: benymazz » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:27 am

I guess I'l jump in here. I have no idea how it would sound but I would love to hear the results. My current muffler is a glasspack (same design as cherry bomb) but the bore is 1 5/8 to suit the stock exhaust pipe. I measured the length of the body (excluding pipes) as about 16 inches IIRC. I am replacing with a 1 3/4 bore glasspack that has a body length of 12 inches. My goal is to deepen out the sound a little bit - the 1 5/8 one was quite nice, very soft and gentle at idle but noticeable once you got on the throttle, but I believe that a bigger bore and slightly less length will hopefully let 'er roar a little more at WOT as well as helping me hear the engine at idle :lol: . Louder is inevitable, yes, but that is not my primary goal.

If louder was my goal I would get something with a V8 - I'm pretty sure even with no muffler my Elan would still be quieter than half the Mustangs here in Daytona!

-Ben
1965 S2 26/4623
Life is like a sewer—what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
benymazz
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: loueelotus » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:41 am

Thank you Ben.. I thought It would be as you think. I will do it as a winter project and see and hear how it works out..
If I can remember I will send you the sound and give you my thoughts on it..

I am also rebuilding the Webers when she goes to sleep haha, so busy winter which is long in Canada anyways..

Best Regards,
Lou
Louis Lottner
Elan S2 1965 #26-4840
loueelotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:38 pm

I might consider a resonator, then muffler.
I am not sure how many believe in free flowing catalytic converter, but we all should have them. Even the fuel injected folk.
A muffler muffles everything, a resonator eliminates drone at certain RPM’s. Most are for cruising 2000rpm. Each one is different.
W. Kootenays B.C. Canada
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
h20hamelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: benymazz » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:50 pm

h20hamelan wrote:I might consider a resonator, then muffler.
I am not sure how many believe in free flowing catalytic converter, but we all should have them. Even the fuel injected folk.
A muffler muffles everything, a resonator eliminates drone at certain RPM’s. Most are for cruising 2000rpm. Each one is different.

This. I forgot about this. My understanding parallels yours - resonators are very useful for making a sound more easy on the ears for long distance driving without changing it too much.

My concern about adding a resonator to an Elan is the same as adding a cat - with the already-sparse ground clearance there just isn't room for it. Perhaps you could tuck a resonator into the stock muffler cutout but that would be tight I think since you still need to put the muffler somewhere. Also with a cat I would be very concerned about the heat and how you would make a heat shield for it.

The cat would also get rid of what my friend semi-affectionately calls "the lawnmower smell", a mixture of unburnt hydrocarbons and burning oil that I find to be a key part of my Elan's personality :lol:
1965 S2 26/4623
Life is like a sewer—what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
benymazz
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: