Electronic ignition using Ford EDIS and Megajolt

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:04 pm

I am struggling a little with the wiring of the EDIS, which has 12 pins, two of which (2&4) are not used. Curiosity got the better of me, and I checked with a multimeter if these pins connect within the EDIS to any other pins. 2 connects to 11, which is the alternative tachometer supply. 4 connects to 7&9 both of which are earth (ground).

I asked the supplier “Trigger Wheels” if I could use 2 for an alternative tachometer supply, and 4 for another earth connection. The answer was “use the connections specified in the instructions” I was expecting a more comprehensive reasoned reply.

My electrical knowledge is very basic (I can wire a two way lighting circuit) and does not cover electronics at all. Does anyone who understands an EDIS know if I could use pins 2&4? My reason for asking is that this would untangle my wires a little.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:11 pm

trying to recall which site has better info.
Many use EDIS, google should help. Lotus 7 chat as many use the Zetec and Duratec, Ford Mustang F body and most in the Volvo like on TurboBricks also any MegaSquirt or MaxTuning etc
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:35 pm

Richard

FYI.

megajolt.jpg and

John ;-)
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:05 pm

You are very brave with limited electrical knowledge prodding a meter into connector pins of electronic devices :D I certainly hope the Mjolt was not powered up…

Bear in mind that 2 might go to 11 and 4 to earth in one power state but change when in another state.

I side with TriggerWheels on this one! As John shows, leave 2 and 4 well alone… 8)
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:38 pm

Hal,

No power applied, EDIS not connected, hope I have not done any harm!

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:57 pm

I doubt that you have! But do be careful with these things!

Anyway, I tracked it down for you:

http://britishminicorp.chez-alice.fr/In ... ctions.pdf

Pin 4 you will be pleased to know is indeed an earth for an associated timing module whilst Pin 2 is a driver module signal that is a square wave 0 - 12v signal, probably attached to the same signal from Pin 11…
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:05 pm

Hal,

Thanks for finding that information. I don’t understand but then with my level of knowledge I should not expect to.

Connect screens to pin7 ONLY it is.

I also discovered that although pins 2&11 are connected,11 is a “clean” tachometer signal and 2 is a diagnostic signal.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: