Mystery Dry Sump Pump

PostPost by: DreamsOfA26R » Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:54 am

Hello all,

I have recently acquired a Twink that was last used to power an AutoX prepped Europa; as such the engine is equipped with a dry sump oiling system. It has a pump that looks like the Titan or Pace styles, but it doesn't say Pace or Titan on the pump. Instead it has a series of letters and numbers, F2/71. Does anyone recognize the pump or the markings? Anyone have any idea who made it?
Attachments
dry sump tank 004.jpg and
1967 Lotus Ean Racer project
1967 Lotus Type 46 Europa
1983 Mazda RX7
1982 Mazda RX7 Racer
Vintage Lotuses and Mazda rotary engines!
DreamsOfA26R
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:52 am

looks like an old Titan...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: promotor » Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:15 am

DreamsOfA26R wrote:Hello all,

I have recently acquired a Twink that was last used to power an AutoX prepped Europa; as such the engine is equipped with a dry sump oiling system. It has a pump that looks like the Titan or Pace styles, but it doesn't say Pace or Titan on the pump. Instead it has a series of letters and numbers, F2/71. Does anyone recognize the pump or the markings? Anyone have any idea who made it?

No idea who makes them, but most 4 port pumps look exactly like that so I presume there is likely just one place making them and then providing different rotor covers depending on the end customer.
promotor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:52 pm

Yes, likely a Titan. F2 model with a 3/4" scavenge line. That's a good one.
I recommend you get the Dave Bean Elan catalog manual so you can learn about these pumps and dry sump systems. It's a great reference to learn about performance engines and actually your entire car.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DreamsOfA26R » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:12 am

StressCraxx wrote:Yes, likely a Titan. F2 model with a 3/4" scavenge line. That's a good one.
I recommend you get the Dave Bean Elan catalog manual so you can learn about these pumps and dry sump systems. It's a great reference to learn about performance engines and actually your entire car.

Actually a gentleman at the end of my street, named Robbie, used to work for the Lotus dealer here in SD and has autocross his S2 Elan for the better part of the last 30 years at least! He's lent me a copy of that book and sadly it doesn't answer the question of who may have built it based on the diagrams alone. Both the Titan and Pace configurations are very similar and I can't tell what mine is, sadly.

promotor wrote:
DreamsOfA26R wrote:Hello all,

No idea who makes them, but most 4 port pumps look exactly like that so I presume there is likely just one place making them and then providing different rotor covers depending on the end customer.

I actually had that thought as well given how similar they all seem to be. More research will have to be done on my end to see what differences may exist between the Pace and Titan pumps, if any. Here goes!
1983 Mazda RX7
1982 Mazda RX7 Racer
DreamsOfA26R
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:32 am

I'm pretty sure that's an early version of a Titan oil pump. Titan used a slip fit flanged tube with a pair of o-rings and fixed in the suction port with an internal circlip. They are still sold as this 5 port version. Many of the internals are interchangeable with other brands.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... ecID=33343

and

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group ... FF16OPSIDE
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DreamsOfA26R » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:17 pm

It's definitely good to know that the internal parts are, if not interchangeable, very similar. I'm concerned about hooking the system up properly given how important it is!
1983 Mazda RX7
1982 Mazda RX7 Racer
DreamsOfA26R
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: