Oil Return in Engine Mount?

PostPost by: DreamsOfA26R » Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:29 am

Hello all! I bring more questions about my mystery drump sump engine! For those of you who may not have seen any of my previous posts, I have recently purchased a Twink last used in an AutoX prepped Europa to put in my Elan race car build. The engine seems to have an old Titan dry sump oil pump and related system. It seems that, as part of the system, the exhaust-side engine mount has had the upper rear bolt hole tapped for an an-fitting. After speaking with my local Elan racer and guru, Robbie, we're not sure why its been done. Robbie used to work for the Lotus dealer here in San Diego and has many reference books about Twink engines, yet we couldn't find an oil galley o the diagrams. Is there an oil galley there? Did we miss something? Has anyone seen this before?
Attachments
unnamed-3.jpg and
unnamed-2.jpg and
unnamed-1.jpg and
unnamed.jpg and
1967 Lotus Ean Racer project
1967 Lotus Type 46 Europa
1983 Mazda RX7
1982 Mazda RX7 Racer
Vintage Lotuses and Mazda rotary engines!
DreamsOfA26R
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:03 am

There is an oil gallery directly below where its been tapped. I would pull off the fitting and see if somehow they have connected to this gallery with a drilling. I have never seen a dry sump system done like this before. If the block has been bored big the normal cross feed between cylinders 2 and 3 from the oil pump side of the block may have been broken into so the may have plugged it and used this for the pressure feed to the bearings.

Cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DreamsOfA26R » Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:40 pm

Wow that is an interesting way to go about that. I haven’t yet removed the head, but I do have the original pistons in a box that came with the engine so I believe it’s been bored at least once, though I’m not sure how much. Clearly I’m going to have to properly go through this engine, which I was naïve enough to hope to avoid. Oh well that’s race cars! I’m assuming based on everything that the strange fitting we’re speaking of is a return fitting that also potentially the pressure feed to the crank bearings?
1967 Lotus Ean Racer project
1967 Lotus Type 46 Europa
1983 Mazda RX7
1982 Mazda RX7 Racer
Vintage Lotuses and Mazda rotary engines!
DreamsOfA26R
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: