Sprint 126 bhp engine

PostPost by: MACCA.GLM » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:29 am

Hi As I am planning a cam change in Sprint 1973 and have priced up the parts to do it.QED 420 lift plus q55 springs
and retainers new followers plus maybe rejetting of the dellorts the Best part of a grand.

Can anyone enlighten me on the true HP of the Elan Sprint as I've heard a few contradictions from various sources

110 to115 bhp instead of the stated 126bhp which is quoted.Quite a difference and if the BHP is a true 126 would the increase of say 10 bhp be worth it for a grand.

If Rohan could chip in here I would be grateful

Regard

G
MACCA.GLM
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:02 pm

I have just had my Sprint engine rebuilt. My car is in original condition, so I wanted the engine rebuilt to original factory specs.

Attached is the dyno run, showing 126bhp at 6000rpm, torque 117lbs ft at 5000 rpm, as near as can be to factory spec.

Tim
Attachments
Dyno Test GW Dyno Sheet 21 03 23.xls
(223.5 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MACCA.GLM » Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:42 pm

Hi Tim

That's good news I presume that is at the flywheel not the rear wheels

Thanks

G
MACCA.GLM
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:59 pm

About 145 to 150 hp compared to the 126hp as Tim has shown in a 1558 Sprint. The 10% extra torque across the midrange is whats really noticeable in a road car. The end result depends on lots of other details so you need to make sure the rest of the engine is right and the cam timing and igition timing and carbs are all set up right

The incremental cost is small if doing a rebuild of a worn engine but only you can judge if its worth the money if you have a perfectly good Sprint engine already.

Cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MACCA.GLM » Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:42 pm

Hi Rohan

Thanks for the reply

The engine is in very good order as I checked this when the release bearing failed. However I am not sure of the cam timing being correct as I only have the timing marks on the sprockets to go by which are aligned ok even if they are aligned would it make sense to put verniers on and make sure the cams are correctly timed

Rohan can you give me the cam timing figures for the sprint cams I will get some verniers from QED

.The ignition timing looks good and the carbs seem ok but the car has not been on the Dyno like Tims so I don't know if this engine is reaching its true potential.

Just wondering if its worth getting it Dyno checked and see if there is a difference in power torque etc before I make my decision.

if I can get another 15 bhp I would be happy to do it

Regards

g
MACCA.GLM
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:29 pm

Yes, the dyno test was at the flywheel, engine only on the machine.

The engine, which had a genuine 80,000 miles under its belt, was crack tested. It needed a new crankshaft and a new front chest. Plus new piston rings and con rods, bearings, valves, ring gear, valve seats cut, bores honed and refaced cylinder and block, then balanced. I also had the Dellortos and the gearbox serviced properly.

It is all now run-in on the car and goes very well. Personally, I do not believe I would really notice an extra 10-15 bhp on this engine. It and the rest of the car give me enough enjoyment.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: c.garde » Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:49 pm

hello again Tim
( last time was 10 years ago when you helped me out with some body problems . Thanks again )

That looks like a very nicely put together TC.
Would it be possible for you to share the ignition progression please?

Best regards
C.Garde
c.garde
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:37 pm

Sorry, afraid I don't have those stats.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MACCA.GLM » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:38 am

HelloTim

Thanks for the info. I am going to get the engine dyno tested when I have checked the cam timing with vernier cam sprockets ,as from what you said there is enough power on the sprint engine with good figures.

cheers
G
MACCA.GLM
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: