First post! Quick (suspected) freeze plug question

PostPost by: guyatou » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:54 pm

Hello all! I’m new to the forum. I’m helping a buddy put together a 1967 Elan S3 and I have a quick question: is a freeze plug supposed to go here?

(See photo)
IMG_9289.jpeg and

I’ve looked at several exploded diagrams but none seem to show this corner of the head. I’m 90 percent sure it just needs a plug, but wanted to make sure before I screw something up. The rest of the engine was assembled and installed by a previous owner, so I’m not super familiar with it.

I’m a Datsun Roadster guy and this is my first British project, so go easy on me!
guyatou
New-tral

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:59 pm

That's not a coolant port, it's actually a breather port & should have a tube to the airbox to route fumes back to the carb intakes.

p.s. Welcome!!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:08 pm

Found a picture...
Engine to airbox blow-by gas pipe.JPG and

Here it is in the parts manual:
Airbox_Parts.jpg and

You need parts #16 & #18
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: guyatou » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:08 pm

Thanks! Glad I didn’t plug it up! I’ll add that to my next parts order!

pharriso wrote:That's not a coolant port, it's actually a breather port & should have a tube to the airbox to route fumes back to the carb intakes.

p.s. Welcome!!
guyatou
New-tral

PostPost by: HCA » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:12 pm

Renew the grommet if you are re-assembling the engine, as it can get a bit oily there if the fit is poor. Also note that if you have heavy crankcase vapour, most gets sucked in by No4 cylinder and in extreme cases will upset your tune.

For these reasons, the other day I threaded the port for an AN fitting that I use to connect to an oil catch can. I am not sure if this is a good thing as I suspect that some oil vapour should be going into the cylinders...
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:10 am

I am not sure if this would be period correct for an S3 but for all my Sprints, I fit the 90 degree rubber elbow and pipe down to the ground. I cannot stand all that crap residue that builds up in the airbox. The engines run so much cleaner.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:21 am

And don't forget that there is a bundle of scrunched up copper in that tube, to act as an anti-flash-burn filter.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:10 pm

Is that the rare 5 cylinder twin cam, maybe my old eyes are deceiving me
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:02 pm

512BB wrote:I am not sure if this would be period correct for an S3 but for all my Sprints, I fit the 90 degree rubber elbow and pipe down to the ground. I cannot stand all that crap residue that builds up in the airbox. The engines run so much cleaner.

Leslie

My S3 originally had the drip-to-road pipe (so it is period-correct) , but it was replaced later with a feed to the air box. Nowadays I've modified it to use an oil catch-can.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:56 pm

h20hamelan wrote:Is that the rare 5 cylinder twin cam, maybe my old eyes are deceiving me

"One lead to rule them all".
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: guyatou » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:34 am

Thanks everybody! I clearly have a lot to learn about these cars. This one is finally coming along, but the quirks will take getting used to. For simplicity I might set up a catch can and vent to atmosphere and see if I get any leaks. If so I'll source the parts to route it to the air cleaner/intake as originally intended. The car is missing a lot of those little things that really add up in the long run!
guyatou
New-tral

PostPost by: guyatou » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:36 am

h20hamelan wrote:Is that the rare 5 cylinder twin cam, maybe my old eyes are deceiving me

It's the very rare Lotus 5-cylinder. Sourced by SAAB of course :)

Nah, I just have the coil wire hangin out on top since I haven't installed the coil yet. So much to do!
guyatou
New-tral

Total Online: