Re facing cam followers

PostPost by: jono » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:53 am

I'm considering having my SE cams reground to 360 spec.

The cams followers (cast) are good but I am aware they will need to be replaced or else re faced.

Is it possible to succesfully re face them by lapping on a glass plate using whatever grade wet and dry?

If not what is the way to do this?

Cheers

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveh » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:11 pm

I would not bother re-facing them Jon.
If they are to be done they need end facing on a cylindrical grinder to ensure they run true, probably making it uneconomical unless you have access to machinery.
Have you measured the diameters as they can wear barrel shaped as can the sleeve in the head ? allowing them to rock in the bore.
It may be best to wait until you have the cams back so to do a check on your shim sizes , especially if you have new valves , recut seats etc-- as you may need the thinner pad followers.

Regards Steve
50/0024
steveh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:39 pm

Thanks for that sage advice Steve, I will review once I have the cams back as that makes good sense.

The followers should be okay as the head was overhauled to standard by a very experienced machinist using new valves, seats and guides and I'm sure he would have asked me to obtain new followers if they were questionable. I will check them though.

The only reason I've decided to upgrade is I obtained a beautiful set of Weber 40's from Nick Stagg fully overhauled and jetted to BV spec so I may as well do them justice!

Thanks again

Cheers

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: