Inserting the dip stick tube into the Burton Front cover

PostPost by: EricB » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:33 pm

HI, I had earlier initiated a post on the require exposed tube length which turns out to be 60 mm as confirmed by Colin also.

Now I have to insert the tube into the casting. Had not realized that part of the initial preparation of the parts for the Burton Water Pump conversion is inserting the tube before assembly by heating the casting in boiling water and then tapping in the tube which has been kept in a freezer until inserted.

I have the Burton castings on the engine now and have to insert the tube. Little nervous about heating up the casting. Any experience just taking the very cold tube and immediately tapping it into the tube hole without heating the surrounding area? Does that work?
EricB
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:51 am

Hi again Eric,
I inserted the tube before fitting the front cover. However, I fine tuned the depth of the tube, after filling the engine with the required amount of oil, by inserting a screw driver into the tube and tapping it down gently cold.
The tube supplied with the kit was copper. I believe, that there may be tubes made of a different material, so can’t comment on the ease of tapping it in when at room temperature.
Think you would be okay gently heating the area of the front cover with a heat gun, and/or cooling the tube in the freezer beforehand.
Cheers,
Colin.

quote="EricB"]HI, I had earlier initiated a post on the require exposed tube length which turns out to be 60 mm as confirmed by Colin also.

Now I have to insert the tube into the casting. Had not realized that part of the initial preparation of the parts for the Burton Water Pump conversion is inserting the tube before assembly by heating the casting in boiling water and then tapping in the tube which has been kept in a freezer until inserted.

I have the Burton castings on the engine now and have to insert the tube. Little nervous about heating up the casting. Any experience just taking the very cold tube and immediately tapping it into the tube hole without heating the surrounding area? Does that work?[/quote]
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:46 pm

I suggest you polish the tube and make sure there is a chamfer on the end. The tube should be steel. Use a bolt/screw in end of tube to drift into casting.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:41 pm

If a steel tube look for a small step part way along where machining of the O/D stopped which will prevent drifting it in without a lot of heating of cover and cooling of casting ( been there done that)

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: