Exaust Fumes

PostPost by: JELLYBELLY » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:48 pm

Before the chassis gave up I was suffering from fumes in the cabin. New tank and breather pipes sorted the petrol smell, but I still got exaust fumes. I took the car off the road before I sorted it.
Went to Donnington in a freinds +2 and every time we opened a window the car filled with exaust fumes. Does the shape of the car pull fumes back into the cabin? Or do we both have dodgy exausts?
Thanks
:ph34r:
JELLYBELLY
New-tral

PostPost by: berni29 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:52 pm

Hi

I must say I have never experienced that problem. I have a dead chassis though. Two big cracks at the front. Just before each turret.

Good luck

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:35 am

Recently my Elan Coupe' was filling with exhaust quite badly. It turned out that I had not latched the boot close. So you might want to check if your boot gaskets and check if there are any other openings in th eboot that shoudl be sealead.. like the hole for the fuel tank drain.

Mike Geiger
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:37 am

D- for my spelling.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: davidcroft » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:19 am

I second the opinion about fumes coming in from the back. On a longish trip I almost gassed myself - couldn't work out why the car was suddenly so fumey (?), until a helpful lorry driver pointed out to me that the boot wasn't quite closed. I pushed it shut, and everything was back to normal (ie - no fumes at all)

Maybe opening the window lowers the pressure in the cabin, so that the gases are sucked back in via the boot - the fumes certainly won't be coming in from the side

I also think that the length of the exhaust pipe is critical. Too short (even by an inch) and you're in trouble. I talked to a guy at Castlecombe last year - he'd spent ages cocking around with sealing the boot and the cabin (which didn't help at all), but he eventually solved ALL his fume problems in his plus 2, just be adding one of those stick-on pipes to the back of the exhaust (only added an extra inch, but must have got it out of the low pressure area at the back of the car). The pipe only cost a few quid - maybe worth a try?

David
davidcroft
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JELLYBELLY » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:46 pm

Thanks to all, an unsealed boot sounds favourite. I'll get new seals when I get it back on the road.
:ph34r:
JELLYBELLY
New-tral

Total Online: