Calcium build up in cooling system

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:07 am

Seasons Greetings….
So I have what looks like a little powdery calcium build up in my cooling system, never ever had it before, ever. I used de-ionised water with Millers Alpine Blue, an ethylene glycol antifreeze, (which states to use de-ionised or distilled water to dilute it) to fill the coolant system.

The white powdery build up is noticeable inside the heater valve and I only spotted this as I was replacing a thermostat gasket, this powdery stuff is not in the radiator as far as I can tell.

The engine had been to a rebuilder around two years ago and I did wonder if some cleaning chemical left in the block would cause it, but I really can’t see that.

So three questions…

1) Why is this happening?
2) How can I get rid of it?
3) What chemicals that won’t hurt the engine will dissolve it?

Thanks
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:06 pm

Hi Mark, season’s greetings, hope you are well.
I cannot answer your question as to the deposits in your system but there is a train of thought that says you should not use distilled water in the cooling system.
Here is a link to an article that explains why. https://rislone.com/blog/cooling/why-yo ... ng-system/
Maybe they are just selling their product and I’m sure there will be differing opinions but I only use softened water these days.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:03 pm

Deionized and distilled water are not the same. https://www.uswatersystems.com/deionize ... lled-water. I used filtered water when I had very hard well water.
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:35 pm

Seasons Greetings,
I definatley used de-ionised water. OK, I'll drop the coolant and flush the system out a right royal pain of a job. And it’s 100% a MEG antifreeze. Ok

Any suggestions what to use to get rid of the calcium?

cheers
Mark
Attachments
IMG_3679.png and
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:03 pm

The dissolved minerals will precipitate out of solution when the water temperature is raised. One often sees this in a pot of water or a teakettle.
Anything that dissolves the calcium will likely attack the aluminum. I think elbow-grease would be the best thing. :wink:
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:19 am

If you used a good antifreeze coolant with deionised water I dont see how that could leave calcium deposits. Could be aluminium corrosion products or some break down of the corrosion inhibitors in the coolant. Could also be deposits from left over cleanng chemicals if he block was not fully flushed.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:19 am

Thanks chaps..
A good flush incoming I think. Need the weather to warm up a bit first.

cheers
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:22 pm

Just a follow up on this thread.

So finally got round to flushing the engine, which I did today. Dropped the coolant, added "Wynns" finest flushing chemical and ran the engine for around 30 minutes. Dropped the coolant again and flushed via the radiator, thermostat housing and heater hose. Then refilled with a 25% glycol mix, this time I bought "CarPlans" finest Mono Ethanol Glycol.

So, what did I notice. Well before I dropped the coolant for the first time the only crud was around/inside the heater valve as I removed the hose/thermostat to have a look. No crud in the radiator, either on the fins or in suspension. What is interesting is that this is a new heater valve that was changed as a matter of course as the engine had been out, as to replace when in service you have to undo the engine mounts. And I'm wondering if the "Alloy" body is made of Cheesium and is just corroding away?

So the pictures of what came out are attached.

Any thoughts on way there is a blue tinge?.

Cheers
Mark
Attachments
IMG_3878.jpeg and
IMG_3879 (1).jpeg and
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:32 am

mark030358 wrote:
So, what did I notice. Well before I dropped the coolant for the first time the only crud was around/inside the heater valve as I removed the hose/thermostat to have a look. No crud in the radiator, either on the fins or in suspension. What is interesting is that this is a new heater valve that was changed as a matter of course as the engine had been out, as to replace when in service you have to undo the engine mounts. And I'm wondering if the "Alloy" body is made of Cheesium and is just corroding away?
Cheers
Mark

Sorry, a bit late coming to this .
I saw it a while ago, and promptly forgot about it.....
However, referring to my notes, that all us Lotus owners keep in abundance, I see I had a similar thing 5 ish years ago.
Brand new heater valve out of the UK, then heater not working 3 months later.
Upon disassembly it was found to be full of some sort of whitish scunge.
This was nowhere else.
Cleaned it out and it never reappeared. The rubber diaphragm only lasted 5 years though, unlike the original which managed 30 odd.

Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:59 am

reb53 wrote:
mark030358 wrote:
Cheers
Mark

Sorry, a bit late coming to this .
I saw it a while ago, and promptly forgot about it.....
However, referring to my notes, that all us Lotus owners keep in abundance, I see I had a similar thing 5 ish years ago.
Brand new heater valve out of the UK, then heater not working 3 months later.
Upon disassembly it was found to be full of some sort of whitish scunge.
This was nowhere else.
Cleaned it out and it never reappeared. The rubber diaphragm only lasted 5 years though, unlike the original which managed 30 odd.

Ralph.

Hi Ralph,
Thanks for the reply, appreciated. I was also wondering if there was any copper in the valve too. But, like you, I think the "metals" used in some parts are just awful. I have had recent issues with dizzy caps breaking down when hot too. At least we can still get parts...

thanks
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: