Running the engine before the body is fitted

PostPost by: dlb123 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:43 am

I've got my engine installed into the chassis and was hoping to run it before the body went on just to check for any leaks/issues.

I was just wondering if anyone had done this before and how I might go about setting up the electrical side of things to make it work.

Thanks a lot!

David
Attachments
20240323_162436.jpg and
dlb123
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:22 am

Hi David,
I can understand that you want to make sure the engine is good before you move on to the next stage.
However I think that the amount of work needed to set up test conditions is more than it is worth. The time and effort required are better spent on progress with the rebuild.
If you run the engine just in the chassis you still cannot test the clutch and gearbox which need the engine out to attend to problems. Nor can you run it under load.
Removing the engine is not so bad that it has to be avoided totally. I have removed mine three times, (so far), for a clutch fault, loss of oil pressure and a rebuild. I have had this Elan 13 years and bought it as a project when I retired at the age of 72. So if I can do it .......
It is not the big jobs that take up all the time, it is sorting out small snags when you don`t know quite what is wrong which drag on and are frustrating.
Looks good so far, let us know how it goes on,
Good luck
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rideaway » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:23 am

Hello David,

I'm going to do that next weekend, I'll be able to provide some info after that.
I think the most complicated part will be installing the radiator and making a temporary support.
For the electricity, a power supply for the ignition and starter should be enough. I'll fit a kill switch if anything goes wrong, and an oil pressure gauge.
I'm also going to provide a power supply for the electric fan, as I need to run in the camshafts and tappets, so I'll be running the engine for a while.

Regards
Stéphane
rideaway
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:55 am

dlb123 wrote:I've got my engine installed into the chassis and was hoping to run it before the body went on just to check for any leaks/issues. I was just wondering if anyone had done this before

Yes, I did it, even drove it around like a big go kart :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wireing is easy enough, a battery and coil, some wires, a fuel container and line ........and a bit of time and ingenuity...... :D
Attachments
1 built.jpg and
go kart 2 - Copy.jpg and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rideaway » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:20 am

I can understand that you want to make sure the engine is good before you move on to the next stage.
However I think that the amount of work needed to set up test conditions is more than it is worth. The time and effort required are better spent on progress with the rebuild.
If you run the engine just in the chassis you still cannot test the clutch and gearbox which need the engine out to attend to problems. Nor can you run it under load.
Removing the engine is not so bad that it has to be avoided totally. I have removed mine three times, (so far), for a clutch fault, loss of oil pressure and a rebuild. I have had this Elan 13 years and bought it as a project when I retired at the age of 72. So if I can do it .......
It is not the big jobs that take up all the time, it is sorting out small snags when you don`t know quite what is wrong which drag on and are frustrating.

I wondered about that, but like a lot of things on a Lotus, space is really limited. I thought that removing the engine, with or without the gearbox, would be a punishment. :twisted:
What do you think, I've still got a week to change it! :D

Regards
Stéphane
rideaway
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:24 am

I would not run a new engine for an extended period without load. You risk glazing the bores and not seating the piston rings. I normally only run a new engine for a around 10 minutes to heat it up and check for leaks. I then check head bolt torques and other bolts such as the sump once its cooled down then not run it again until I can put it under load as you need the gas pressure from running under load to bed the rings properly.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:41 pm

Hi Stephane
I just think you are making work which may not be necessary. You will find enough snags and problems along the way as it is. I am not trying to be pessimistic and I have not done a total rebuild, but I have had nearly every part off the car and on the bench. I have not done wheel bearings or brake servo yet.
I can see that you might enjoy running the engine in the chassis though.
Cheers
Eric in Burnley
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dlb123 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:21 pm

Interesting point about glazing the bores up. I hadn't thought of that. I guess I'll follow the esteemed wisdom and just get on with other bits and pieces, rather than busying myself with trying to make the engine run in the chassis.

It was more out of curiosity than anything else. But I'll take the brave pill and just assume I've made a good job of it!

Love the go kart setup. That is hilarious and I thought about doing the same and taking it for a spin.

Thanks all for responding.

As an aside I bought the Goodrich braided hose for the clutch. I find it odd that the adapters don't go deep enough into the master/slave to seal against the conical tip. And hence these crush washers are provided. Is that correct? Seems strange to try and seal against the outer surface.
Attachments
20240325_192023.jpg and
dlb123
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: