Original oil pressure line end standards for fittings

PostPost by: LCRJ » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:15 am

Hi all,

What are the standards for the original oil pressure line, especially for the end on the engine side?
1,What is the thread standard of the female end (fixing nut)?
2,What is the standard of the tapered fitting attached to the end of the plastic pipe?
3,What is the taper angle of this fitting?
4,Is there several types of this fitting with different tapers?

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Hiro :D
LCRJ
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:50 am

In the Elan the block is 1/8 NPT and the compression fittings for the tube 1/8 BSP. You can get the tube kits and block adaptor from the usual suppliers. I would use tube ferrules that come with the adapter as different manufacturers may have slightly different compression ferrule designs.

However i dont know what was used by Ford in your Cortina for the oil pressure so it may be different ??

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:39 pm

My 701M block has a 1/4 NTP fitting, which I believe is not a modification but a spec change for the 701M blocks, or some group of them.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:08 pm

Yes the 711M / 701M blocks had the 1/4 NPT fitting compared to 1/8 NPT on the earlier blocks but I think Hiros Mk1 Lotus Cortina does not (or should not) have a 701M block ?

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:06 pm

Agree. More of a comment for future reference if someone else is looking it up and finds this thread.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DamianB » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:49 am

While on the subject of oil pressure line end fittings,
Is anybody able to share advice on whether it is OK to cut the supplied fitted nylon oil pressure lines and refit the barbed end fittings to the tube myself? Are they just push fit, or maybe glued in, or heated?

Why? I am fitting a replacement Oil/Water gauge from Caerbont (nice job). On my S3 the sensor for the Low Oil Pressure warning light was fitted at the dashboard end of the pressure line, attached directly to the back of the gauge and not to the engine block end. When tightened onto the new gauge, the sensor now interferes with the speedometer casing. I guess the thread start on the new gauge is different.

My plan is to move the sensor further away from the gauge and cut it into the middle of the oil pressure line. Unless somebody has a better suggestion.

IMG_6126.jpg and
Old gauge with sensor fitted
Damian
67 French-Blue Elan S3 DHC 45/7001
DamianB
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: LCRJ » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:52 am

Thank you all for the info.
My block is original so I think it will be 1/8NPT.
So does that mean that the Oil presure switch threads are also 1/8NPT?

My interest is in the shape of the end of the pressure line. The Smith instrument side is normally flat, but the block side is tapered. I attach the pics for clarity.
Are there several standards for this shape?
If we refer to the information from Rohan.
I understand that the thread at the end of the block side of the line is 1/8 BSP.
Is this taper also a BSP standard?
The taper seems to be different on my pressure line(TYPE2)and my friend's line(TYPE1).
I am looking into the possibility of oil leaks from the joints if I don't understand this difference.

Kind regards,
Hiro :D
Attachments
TYPE2.jpg and
TYPE1.jpg and
LCRJ
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:30 pm

There are various standard taper angles for various compression fittings. The guage end appears to be a Smiths standard which is 1/8 BSP with a flat face and washer. The block end of the tube was orginally a 1/8 BSP compression fitting into the adapter. I will check the compression fitting taper on an old original ine I have tommorrow.

However I am not sure if the current replacement lines and adapters are the same as original in terms of the block end compression fitting so if getting a new line I would get a new adapter from the same supplier to ensure they match.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:50 pm

The hose I got from Dave been was AN3 ends with a 1/8npt to AN3 (engine) and 1/8 BSP to AN3 (gauge) adapters.
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Phil.C60 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:57 am

And don't forget the washer at the gauge end.....a tiny thing, and if you've got huge hands like me it can be slightly tricky but without it you will get an oily leg!
Phil.C60
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: