Removing Sump with fixed crossmember.......

PostPost by: Grizzly » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:49 pm

Hi all,

I guess my question is, has anyone removed and refitted the sump on an S4 with a fixed crossmember?? Only briefly weighed it up but it looks really fun, not 100% sure it's even possible..

I've had a bit of a mare recently, managed to put the Water pump seal in the wrong way around :roll: and to make matters worse i used some quality sealer on the sump, so i was in real risk of breaking the bit off the bottom of the front cover that holds the crank oil seal.......... So i had to drop the sump :cry:

Right now i have the sump stuck between the chassis and the engine and with the oil pick up tube in place i am thinking it's not coming out without a fight. I've given up for the day but i'm thinking if i remove the engine mounts and raise it as high as possible i'm still not going to clear the pickup tube....

Another option would be to clean up and reseal the sump more or less in situ (which also looks like a fun times :( )

last option would be lifting the block out of the car, i mean it's not far off now, but as these things go i've lent my block and tackle to someone and can't for the life of me remember who.

Really annoying because i had one very minor oil leak from one of the cam cover half-moons but i'm thinking i might well end up with a few more the way i'm going at the moment.

Ahh well.

Cheers,
Chris
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:04 pm

i would take the opportunity to convert the crossmember to a removable type.

My chassis has a removable crossmember from new, and it's only some u section steel with a couple of m8 nuts and bolts at each end. It's worked well for the last 40 odd years. Very simple.

I think someone else has done this and might like to chime in.....

Dave Chapman
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:58 pm

Hi Chris,
When things go wrong like that there is only one satisfactory answer. Take it out and start again.
Maybe modify the cross member while the engine is out.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:17 am

I will have a look at the cross member in a few minutes, i have been told it's just plug welded to the Chassis and is just the case of drilling four holes....... but that would be too straight forward, it's bound to be stitch welded on.

I keep forgetting how much my back doesn't like me working on the Lotus, so today might be a day of reflection :roll:
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:57 am

Hi Chris,
I expect that you can find a chain block somewhere close to you. However in desperation I have a sweet little half ton block here that I am hoping not to have a use for in the near future. Just in case!
Eric in Burnley
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:14 am

Thanks for the offer Eric but i think i've tracked mine down.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: