Alternative Vacuum Source?

PostPost by: Tmac897 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 pm

When I was rebuilding the engine of my S3, I had to replace the head. I wasn't remotely thinking about headlight operation at that stage of the rebuild, and so I did not drill out a port on the intake manifold to fit a connection to the vaccum system. Drilling a hole in the head at this point gives me the willies - I can see the metal filings complete with evil grins happily marching into cylinder 1. :twisted:

My question is would the airbox itself be a reliable source of vacuum? Other unintended consequences?
Tony
1967 Elan S3 SE
Northeast US
Tmac897
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:43 pm

I believe there are 12v electric pumps
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tmac897 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:56 pm

h20hamelan wrote:I believe there are 12v electric pumps

Yes, and there are 12v electric actuators. Not my question, though. The airbox connection, if viable, presents a much simpler solution.
Tony
1967 Elan S3 SE
Northeast US
Tmac897
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:30 pm

sure, until you have low vacuum while running which is I believe why folk use electric motors to actuate the pods.

while pumps may be actuators, actuators may be pumps. I don't think either statement is true.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steve lyle » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:02 am

I wouldn’t think there is much, if any, vacuum upstream of the throttle plates.
Steve Lyle
1972 Elan Sprint 0248k @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-Lot ... 48K.30245/
1972 MGB Roadster @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-MG- ... 842G.4498/
2007 BMW 335i Coupe
steve lyle
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: quaybook » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:30 am

Maybe remove front carb, put a grease covered rag with an extractor string attached to it down the port beyond where you are going to drill to block the port, then a second grease covered rag behind the point where you are going to drill. Drill out the port, remove the outer rag carefully hopefully with all the swarf, clean up inner end of drilling, then very carefully remove the inner rag. Maybe?

Vernon
Elan S2 26/5614
Alfa Romeo Alfetta Berlina 1974
Westfield 7SE
quaybook
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:04 am

You could of course fit an electric headlight conversion.
Or fit a strong vacuum pump like one of these. Seems very overkill to me though.
https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/electric-vacuum-pump

Realistically though I don't think you have any option but drill the manifold if you want vacuum.
As others have suggested, plenty of grease both inside and outside the manifold to catch the drill swarf and take a deep breath and drill/tap the manifold seems the easiest solution to me. It would be done in minutes.

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:21 pm

quaybook wrote:Maybe remove front carb, put a grease covered rag with an extractor string attached to it down the port beyond where you are going to drill to block the port, then a second grease covered rag behind the point where you are going to drill. Drill out the port, remove the outer rag carefully hopefully with all the swarf, clean up inner end of drilling, then very carefully remove the inner rag. Maybe?

Vernon

I did this on a head that I also fitted before realising the vacuum connction had not been drilled and tapped. No problems with extracting all the metal filings. Turn the engine until the inlet valve is closed on No1 cylinder and you can always vacuum out any metal that mat get past the plugs in the inlet.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tmac897 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:15 pm

rgh0 wrote:
quaybook wrote:Maybe remove front carb, put a grease covered rag with an extractor string attached to it down the port beyond where you are going to drill to block the port, then a second grease covered rag behind the point where you are going to drill. Drill out the port, remove the outer rag carefully hopefully with all the swarf, clean up inner end of drilling, then very carefully remove the inner rag. Maybe?

Vernon

I did this on a head that I also fitted before realising the vacuum connction had not been drilled and tapped. No problems with extracting all the metal filings. Turn the engine until the inlet valve is closed on No1 cylinder and you can always vacuum out any metal that mat get past the plugs in the inlet.

cheers
Rohan

Thank you for the suggestions. Sounds doable.
Tony
1967 Elan S3 SE
Northeast US
Tmac897
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:22 am

I say this tongue-in-cheek of course, but if you wanted to get REALLY crazy you could acquire the vacuum-pump from a Turbo Esprit, which is rather compact and driven by a V-belt. Having a pressurised intake manifold, those cars needed a vacuum-pump to operate the brake servo. And when I had a Turbo Esprit some years ago, that pump was a right pain in the arse to loosen and remove its belt, which was the outer-most of THREE V-belts on the engine and the pump was so far down that it had to be dealt with from below the car, and it required a modified hex-key to loosen a bolt behind its pulley, in a difficult place to reach. If I still had that car I'd yank it off and GIVE you that damn pump! :lol:
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rjaxe » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:09 am

My plus 2 has two vacuum connections on the intake one for the lights the other for the brake servo are you missing this one as well?
Richard
rjaxe
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: shynsy » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:16 am

I believe that you can buy an alternator which has a vacuum pump integrated into the housing.
Tim
Current Cars: '72 Elan +2S130/5, '72 Triumph Stag 3.9L, '72 Spitifire Mk IV. Past Cars: '72 Triumph TR6 (supercharged), '70 MG Midget (K-Series + Type 9), '76 Triumph 2500TC, '72 Lotus Elan +2S130/4, '76 Triumph Spitfire 1500.
shynsy
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Tmac897 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:32 am

rjaxe wrote:My plus 2 has two vacuum connections on the intake one for the lights the other for the brake servo are you missing this one as well?

I have an S3 SE, but no servo fitted. Perhaps the original owner removed it, or it was a "delete" option on the SE?
Tony
1967 Elan S3 SE
Northeast US
Tmac897
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Tmac897 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:33 am

The Veg wrote:I say this tongue-in-cheek of course, but if you wanted to get REALLY crazy you could acquire the vacuum-pump from a Turbo Esprit, which is rather compact and driven by a V-belt. Having a pressurised intake manifold, those cars needed a vacuum-pump to operate the brake servo. And when I had a Turbo Esprit some years ago, that pump was a right pain in the arse to loosen and remove its belt, which was the outer-most of THREE V-belts on the engine and the pump was so far down that it had to be dealt with from below the car, and it required a modified hex-key to loosen a bolt behind its pulley, in a difficult place to reach. If I still had that car I'd yank it off and GIVE you that damn pump! :lol:

Probably beyond my fabrication skills anyway :)
Tony
1967 Elan S3 SE
Northeast US
Tmac897
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Tmac897 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:35 am

shynsy wrote:I believe that you can buy an alternator which has a vacuum pump integrated into the housing.
Tim

Thanks, Tim. Sounds like a reasonable option. Does it require a change to negative ground to install an alternator?
Tony
1967 Elan S3 SE
Northeast US
Tmac897
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: