Silencer Silent?

PostPost by: roadterror » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:06 pm

Anyone have a good tips on silencing the Elan/ +2 exhaust system?

Have a new rear exhaust box (RC 40)but the sound is still over-whelming. Anyway to fit an additional resonator/ silencer before the rear box or is there a recommended single silencer system that would do the job?

There is also the issue of ground clearance.....

Cheers!
roadterror
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Madbury » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:17 pm

I hope that I speak for many on here by asking Why?

The exhaust note is one of the great things about the elan and +2. Puts an ear to ear grin on my face anyway.
Madbury
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: roadterror » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:49 pm

True that the twin cam motor makes a wonderful roar.... but I'm using her as a daily driver. Does get very loud on the highway....
roadterror
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: freddy22112211 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:26 pm

Hi, I asked almost the same question on the yahoo chat - message 25220 - last year. You could read all the replies but nothing really came of it. At the moment I'm thinking of trying to get some flexible connections into the exhaust - it's always seemed daft to me that the whole thing is so rigid.
Gordon
1972 LHD Sprint 5 Cabriolet - sold!
freddy22112211
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:46 pm

I'm a bit surprised you find exhaust noise bothersome but I suppose if you are doing lots of miles very quickly ............... :lol:

This is probably a bit obvious but is your tailpipe well beyond the rear of the car? It helps if you are leaving the sound behind.

No solid contact between the exhaust and the bottom of the car is also worth checking eg flexy hangers rather than solid.

The other thing I've found is that although non standard air cleaners may be efficient and look pretty they also contribute to much more intake roar which I have to say annoys me more than the exhaust.

The only other easy option would be to go to your local exhaust supplier and see if you can find a bigger but slim silencer, perhaps something wide and shallow to maintain as much clearance as possible.

Adding more sound proofing to the floor, rear bulkhead/parcel tray area and in the boot might also be worth considering. Is your boot seal good?
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:23 am

<The other thing I've found is that although non standard air cleaners may be efficient and look pretty they also contribute to much more intake roar which I have to say annoys me more than the exhaust.>

I second the above. My Elan left my ears ringing after a 60 mile run at 80 MPH. I removed the 2 K&N filters and installed the original airbox and I can now listen to Albinoni on the CD at highway speeds.

You might also investigate if a small diameter glass pack muffler could be fitted in front of your existing muffler.

Mike Geiger
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:29 am

Stainless steel exhaust systems can also be quite loud as they can tend to ring. Switching to a mild steel system might make things a little more quiet.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:33 pm

I have an intermediate straight through muffler about 100 mm diammeter in the exhaust for my plus 2 just behind the gearbox . I think it is sourced from the intermediate muffler from an MGB. As its straight through not much pressure drop but combined with a straight through muffler at the rear of about the orginal size it gives a nice note that is not tiresome during long trips.

Rohan
In God I trust.... All others please bring data
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: roadterror » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:48 pm

Have just installed a "cherry bomb" straight thru' box just before the rear silencer and this does seem to help change the tone. Much better but still a little loud.

Have the air-box back on but do notice that the box itself does emit quite alot of noise on hard throttle but sounds better without the induction roar.....

Will be working on more sound proofing next.

Thinking of using smaller diameter pipe from the extractor to the first box... what's the recommended pipe dia?
roadterror
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Ramsden » Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:42 pm

My s130/5 has a stainless exhaust system from Paul Matty with K&N's fitted up front. Whilst A/B road driving the sound is a joy but motorway slogs do leave the ears ringing somewhat.

Rather than change either of these two elements, I've been considering stripping out the old horse hair sound proofing and replacing it with a modern alternative.

Does anyone have any experience/views on this and can anyone recommend a good product.

On a semi-related note has anyone tried reducing the heat seep from the engine bay? Its nice and toasty in the winter but with just two tiddly vents and leatherette seats, summer driving can be a touch on the warm side!

Simon
Ramsden
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: cdraper » Sat May 01, 2004 7:20 am

I have covered the floor of my boot on the plus2 with deadening pads - hot melt that you need a hot air gun to make stick. there is also a metal reinforcement either side of the exhuast hangers - taken form a VW Golf on special brackets. This has reduced the boot floor drumming!! With the standard SS exhaust and a 3.55 axle it is really pleasent to drive in the 85-100mph range. Of course the axle and the extra weight makes the car a little slower but I never use the full acceleration any way!!
cdraper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: cdraper » Sat May 01, 2004 7:22 am

I have covered the floor of my boot on the plus2 with deadening pads - hot melt that you need a hot air gun to make stick. there is also a metal reinforcement either side of the exhuast hangers - taken form a VW Golf on special brackets. This has reduced the boot floor drumming!! With the standard SS exhaust and a 3.55 axle it is really pleasent to drive in the 85-100mph range. Of course the axle and the extra weight makes the car a little slower but I never use the full acceleration any way!!
cdraper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue May 11, 2004 11:20 pm

10 4 Madbury, that makes two of us...
My +2 is so loud it literally sets off car alarms on narrow streets in nice neighborhoods, flashing lights and all....BUT, it's tooo loud,
... extending the exhaust tips can reduce highway drone, (INside the car...)
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paul_mescall » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:43 am

I now keep a box of Ear plugs in the car (very light weight) instant luxury car sound.
paul_mescall
New-tral

Total Online: