Spark Plug Leads

PostPost by: pereirac » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:45 pm

I am rebuilding my Sprint after a long time off the road. Can anybody tell me the lengths of the ignition leads between the spark plugs and the distributor?
My old leads were very long and routed through the back of the head (near the bulkhead) but I think shorter more direct leads may be better??
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:26 pm

If you have the 23D type dizzy then the ignition leads are 7mm solid copper type and you can buy this by the meter from www.holden.co.uk I would thin that 2m would be more than enough.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:44 pm

It's best practice to keep the spark plug wires separated with an air gap more so then shortening them. They can inductively couple otherwise and the full coil spark energy can get sapped away from the the plug that needs it most. Tie-wrapping them all together for most their length is the worst thing you can possibly do. Parts venders sell phenolic type plastic clamps to neatly route the wiring while maintaining an air gap. These clamps are not just for show purposes. Would assume the clamps are okay for a 25kv coil only though.
-Keith
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: