Beware of Scammers

PostPost by: jcocking » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:40 pm

We have had numerous reports of members being scammed.

This is preventable with a few safeguards. Below are the items we recommend.

Do not post phone numbers or e-mails. This makes it so easy to be scammed. This allows any person in the world to contact you and try to scam you.

Know Who You're Dealing With
  • Are they a member of LotusElan.net? (If not, this should be a huge warning sign.)
  • What is their username? (Search for them. If they have never posted, be leery.)
  • Ask them to send you a Private Message (PM) concerning the item?
  • Are they using a free email account (Gmail, Yahoo, etc...)
  • Request the person's physical address. (Look it up on Google Maps.)
  • What are the odds, a Lotus Elan part would be located in ????? (Insert the person's location.)
  • Ask the LotusElan.net members if they have ever heard of this person.
Physically Inspect the Item
  • Ask for additional pictures?
  • Search for the picture in Google images. (If the picture is used on someone's website it is most likely fraudulent.)
  • Ask detailed info about the part?
  • Setup a meeting time and place.
  • If it is remote, arrange for a local LotusElan.net member to do the inspection.
Understand that wiring money is sending cash.
  • Never send money through a wire transfer, as most of these transactions are fraudulent.
  • Credit cards are the best and the safest way to pay for online purchases. If you pay by credit card and if any problem arises you can dispute the charges.

Most likely you are looking for a hard to find part. It is very rare that some person no one knows within the Lotus community has this item for sale.

Once a person becomes established on LotusElan.net, they are here to learn and help one another. I would have no problem sending any established member of LotusElan.net money to purchase an item and ship it to me. I would have concerns sending money to someone I have never heard from other than an email.

We have a scammer thread. If you think you are being scammed or have concerns, please post your questions, warnings or concerns at Scammer Thread.
jcocking
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jonsered 11 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:52 pm

Hi Jeff,

its jonsered 11, [email protected], I have had 5 replies to my most recent post, re Dash screws, I have sent PMs to them but I don't think that they are getting through to them, they are not appearing in my [ sent messages] box, whereas the previous ones do, can you check that for me and see what the problem is?

Best Regards Kenny
jonsered 11
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jcocking » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:43 am

This indicates the person has not logged in and open/reviewed their PMs.
Jeff Cocking
LotusElan.net
jcocking
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: