Lotus Elan

help in New Zealand

PostPost by: street » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:51 am

Whilst I am down as a newbie, i have actually been in the system to some 6 years, my father completed a ground up restoration of my +2 in 1989, i was given the car some 6 years ago, but emigrated to NZ and returned the car to my father, he has sadly passed away and car is on route to NZ. When it was in my possession the car (typically) ran very hot, I am toying with going for an oversized radiator, however in the interim was going to template around rad, does anyone know where i can find templates etc. I think Paul Matty? does the foam from bonnet to rad?

Thanks
street
New-tral

PostPost by: geni » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:39 am

si cela t'intéresse je peu t'aider ,j'ai cela
geni
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:49 am

Other things to check are the voltage regulator. If that is not working you will not get accurate temperature readings.

I'm sure ducting around the radiator would be beneficial, and I plan on making some for mine when the aircon goes in.
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:07 am

Easiest thing to do would be to fit the S3 Elan, full width radiator. Easy bolt in job. and since it is a STANPART item, you might be able to source it from a Tiumph dealer.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:47 am

I have a spare S3 full width rad. It's been re-cored and unused since. The top tank is a bit battered looking, but its sound.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: street » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:24 am

Could be keen what you after as I have to consider exchange rate and postage to nz
street
New-tral

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:56 pm

The full width radiator is a spitfire one so easy to source in most parts of the world. It does need some adjustments to the inlet and outlet but this can be done by any old radiator shop....
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:21 pm

mbell wrote:The full width radiator is a spitfire one so easy to source in most parts of the world. It does need some adjustments to the inlet and outlet but this can be done by any old radiator shop....

I modified a second hand spitfire full width radiator to fit my S4 Elan as follows

1. Turn the angled top hose connection 180 degrees so it points out away from the engine
2. Move the filler to the right hand end of the top tank onto the lower section of the top tank to clear the bonnet. Looking at photos the top tank profile of the full width radiator used for spitfires varied a little over time but they all appear to allow the modification to relocate the filler
3. Trim the lower sections of the side mounting plates to clear the body fibreglass ( at least on my car )
4. Re-core with a three row core.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:28 am

yep

as Rohan and other pointed out, it is a standard triumph unit that requires some mods. did this to my own car many years ago. pretty straight forward.
where in NZ are you?
cheers Robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: street » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:09 am

Hey robin, Silverdale North Shore
street
New-tral

PostPost by: patrics » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:14 pm

Hi,
Before looking at actual cooling system which is obviously a bit marginal then check
That the timing is correct throughout out the rev range
The mixture is correct - not lean
If possible (From personal experience) take the core plugs out - mine was full of crap must have increased the water capacity in the block by a 3rd

Good Luck
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:50 am

The first thing to do is ensure you have the correct radiator cap, and not an old leaky one that isn't pressurising the system as it should.
Made a huge difference to my Sprint when I finally got a good one.
I'm pretty sure I have a new spare here if you need it. ( RC18 I think, too lazy to go and check.....).

Ralph.
Napier.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: street » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:09 am

Ralph that would be great, I’m actually in Hastings next Tuesday flying into Napier if that helps?
street
New-tral

PostPost by: reb53 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:24 am

Just checked and the one in my car is an RC18.
My new spare is the same, if you want it, for the replacement cost of course :D , PM me for an address/phone number.
Cheers,
Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: