Lotus Elan

Webasto sunroof (wanted!)

PostPost by: JonB » Fri May 24, 2019 1:18 pm

Hi

I'm suffering terribly in the heat in my Plus 2 (and it's not even Summer yet). I've fitted a valve to shut the heater off but it's not helping enough. Is there anywhere I can get a folding fabric Webasto style sunroof fitted? Has anyone got one spare?

Thanks
JonB
Late 1972 Elan Plus 2S 130/5 - UK - Unit 50/1115L
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Fri May 24, 2019 1:34 pm

......not my place to question what you think you would like but do you really, really, want one?

They ruin the lines of a Plus 2 (IMO) which is why I went to great pains to source and put a whole new roof on mine and bin the horrid thing.

.....then there's the leaks, and the listing rods and the new headlining (the remains of which you can never get 'tight'), and the 'slashers'!

oh, and the buffeting

I would open the windows
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri May 24, 2019 1:42 pm

I do open the windows but it isn't enough. Short of fitting A/C i can't think of any other way to cool the thing down.

Maybe a tinted film on the glass?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri May 24, 2019 3:57 pm

Littleport Boathaven have all you need or sell it and buy one converted into ragtop e.g. chris neil cabriolet
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Fri May 24, 2019 4:46 pm

Here's an idea I was about to consider trying. You can do it first, it would be better that way!

Drill holes in the back of the spot light recesses and form a suitable cone to take 40mm (?) flexible tube.

A quick 90 degree turn then up along the top of the inner wing and through the bulkhead (such as it is). Ram effect should give a good cooling blast of air onto your baking tootsies. Or even straight up your trousers.

Don't drive through deep water.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pcarew » Fri May 24, 2019 5:25 pm

My Elan came with one, and I really like it.
The best person for all things Webasto is David Balkwil ( [email protected]" target="_blank ). He is based in France, but I shipped over my very rusted and sad looking sunroof and it came back immaculate.

20180804_134051.jpg and
Webasto sunroof

20180804_134131.jpg and
Looks clean and unobtrusive from inside

20180807_114148.jpg and
Doesn't detract from the style of the car
Paul Carew
Austin,Texas,USA

1967 Lotus Elan S3SE Right Hand Drive, FHC 36/7152 BOO 758F
pcarew
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JohnCh » Fri May 24, 2019 6:39 pm

I had a Webasto on my first car (R17 Gordini). Functionally it was brilliant. Huge opening, easy to use, and never leaked. If you are fine with the aesthetics, it's a great option. If you aren't though, they are tough to ignore.

-John
JohnCh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Fri May 24, 2019 7:02 pm

Afternoon,

I agree the car looks better without the sunroof, despite mine having one fitted! I guess it is common knowledge that most sunroofs fitted on +2's are actually britax weathershields, not webasto.

Cheers,

David
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nrwian » Fri May 24, 2019 8:25 pm

I am restoring a S3 FHC Elan pre airflow and am faced with a similar dilemma . Typically here daytime temps in the 30s with humidity over 70 % . My option are fitting electric air con , looks feasible . Will lose some space in the boot above the diff and will have to fit a 120 amp alternator . Looking at ducting air form the unit in the boot forward thru the sills then up into the dash area . Will also have vent blowing air fwd from the back bulkhead . Will need a second battery . Going to add some more weight but will live with that . No point having a lightweight car that I can only drive half the year . My other option Is cut the roof of and turn it into a DHC but I am getting a lot of push back from just about everyone I know on that one . I also have 1977 Toyota Celica , which has a ventilation system but no air . It's like being in a sauna driving that here in summer so in the process of putting air in that too . It's conventional engine driven , it was an option on that car back in the day .
nrwian
New-tral

PostPost by: derek uk » Sat May 25, 2019 8:00 am

Talk to https://www.thetrimmingcentre.co.uk/tudor-webasto they are in Lewes W Sussex. They do Weathershields too.
Don't know the colour of your car but having the roof section in white helps a lot.

Derek UK
derek uk
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat May 25, 2019 10:12 am

Thanks, I have sent them a mail. My roof is flake painted silver as it's an S130/5. There is a picture on their web site of a roof fitted to a JPS Plus 2 (the cover is fawn to match).

jps-plus-2-sunroof-and-headrest.jpg and

And this car even has matching headrests, obviously retrofitted to the original seats (another thing I really want to do, if I could find some Oatmeal trim that actually matches).
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan Peter » Sat May 25, 2019 12:00 pm

During my time at Paul Matty Sports cars there was a lovely 130/4 for sale. (I think it was £22 000)
That had a webasto roof finished in leather and to hide it, the whole top section of the roof was covered in the same material. It suited the car well and almost added to the look of the car.
I think it was an older restoration as the paint work was looking tired.
If I find a photo, I'll send it too you. I know how hot it gets in them, our Elan heater works well which id good apart from the fact that we never drive it in cold weather 8)
I hope that has been of some assistance to you.
Best regards, P
Peter James Evans
1965 Elan S2 (in bits but will be a fantastic early 26r style car one day)
1967 Elan S3 (for sale https://paulmattysportscars.co.uk/lotus-elan-dhc-s3/)
1972 Elan Plus 2S (Next project, awaiting full restoration)

1980 Lombardini/Westwood
Elan Peter
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat May 25, 2019 1:23 pm

For my TVR 3000M i used Littleport Boathaven and they made a new cover for the Weathersheild the colour i asked. I gave them the reference from "Martrim" supplier no problem. It was the same as the Roof covered in vinyl.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat May 25, 2019 6:49 pm

At what outside temperature does it get too bad?

If it's not that hot outside, then problem might be heat from the drive train and you'd be better served looking at improving the insulation/heat-rejection of the car.

Have you checked the b pillar vents are ok?
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sat May 25, 2019 7:26 pm

You know it makes sense - :)

istockphoto-645788690-612x612.jpg and

Put a scoop over the air intakes?

As Mr Bell suggests - check the outlets are free.

Check the heater isn't bunged up - is there any cold air throughput?

Lots to play with without the drastic idea of hacking a hole in teh roof. I thought you had enough to do already.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: