Lotus Elan

WTB S2 seats original or aftermarket

PostPost by: digdug » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:14 pm

I’m looking for a pair of seats to fit my 65 elan S2. I got the car as a project and there are no seats. I’m in northern california. I would like something stock or vintage race style without headrests (26R?). I have a Spyder roll bar with headrests integrated. I welcome any suggestions for where to look.
thanks,
dug
65 Élan S2
digdug
New-tral

PostPost by: groucho » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:16 pm

My S2 seats are pretty well trashed (worn and cracked '70s naugahyde, the original red seats were tossed away at the same time!) so I feel your pain!

If you have nothing at all, you can get stock seats by buying the parts but it won't be cheap. These guys are reproducing the seat frames: https://www.facebook.com/pg/lotuseuropa ... 7885077124
No idea what they are now but I have notes from a while ago saying €680 for the frame(s?) and €130 shipping to the USA.
For covering, best bet is probably the Newton kit because it includes all the foam and such along with the stock seat covers. I would guess that the frame plus the Newton kit would get you completely there. https://newtoncomm.co.uk/collections/lo ... atlas-grey

If you want aftermarket, I quite liked the Silverstone B21 seats: http://shop.bf-torino.com/bf-autositze/ ... re=default
Pretty stock-appearing except for the headrest. I'm not sure which mounting adapters you'd need but I think they fit in the Elan.

You may be able to find used seats but I haven't had any luck; most are in the UK so shipping would be very expensive. I've ended up having a little rust repair done on my seat frames (the bar across the front rusts since it ends up sitting in a puddle if it gets wet inside) and I have the Newton kit ready for my upholsterer to get a chance to install it. The Newton kit looks really nice and the vinyl is pretty soft, not like the typical '70s hard vinyl.
Jeff Kyle
1965 Elan S2
2005 Elise
groucho
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: digdug » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:12 am

Thanks for the detailed reply!
65 Élan S2
digdug
New-tral

PostPost by: lotusS2guy » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:31 pm

I'm in Southern California and I have a pair of Corbeau seats in my S2 Elan. I'm getting a bit old to climb in as required by these seats, and have reinstalled the original seats. Are you interested? I don't see how to attach photos, but if you send me your email address, I'll send a photo.
Herb
26/4618
lotusS2guy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:59 am

Try:
Stefan Schleißing
GTSclassics
12705 Encino Dr
Mystic Oaks
Manchaca,TX 78652
702 353 7175
ClassicCarSeats.com

I exchanged an email with Stefan back 12/17. He was developing an Elan replacement seat, with or without head rest. I found a pretty good used set so never committed to buy the new ones.

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:15 am

Interesting! He's within a stones throw of me and didn't know if the company!
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: