Weber Carbs

PostPost by: chrishewett » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:29 am

Can anyone reccomend someone to overhaul the webers on my +2 s130? I should think that they have never been touched.
I am in Lincolnshire.
Thanks
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:03 am

Hi

Why pay for it- you can easily do the job yourself.

All a kit includes is the top gaskets, "O" rings for idle jets, needle valves etc.

Unless the throttle spindle bearings are worn and require machining etc each carb should take you no more than an hour. All you have to do is be scrupulously clean when reassembling them.

I think the kit costs about ?50 for the two- if you pay someone expect a bill of ?100 plus probably!

Get hold of a copy of practical classics magazine and ring Southern Carburettors or Burlen Fuel Services- they keep the kits.

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:14 am

Depending on condition the carbs may need a proper clean. Unless you have an ultrasonic tank at home you will at leat need to farm this job out. I had a pair of webers fully reconditioned by <a href='http://www.northamptonmotorsport.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.northamptonmotorsport.com/</a> they can supply all the bits or do all the work for you, given them a call.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:16 pm

Thanks for the input sofar!
I have thought about doing the job myself but are not special tools required?
I have looked at the northamptonmotorsport website and they only talk about cleaning with acids and solvents, not ultrasonic tanks. Other people have told me that acids can damage internal threads etc.
Can I realistically expect to clean all the residue from years myself. I would love to have a go but the cleaning seems to be the key to it.
Any more thoughts?
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:41 pm

Wouldn't putting a whole carb in an ultrasonic bath run the risk of disturbing even more crap to block the small passageways and jets after reassimbly?
Cheers
Tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:40 am

Hi

Just a footnote- others might disagree but all I've ever done to clean carbs is buy a gallon of cellulose thinners- remove any rubber parts from the carbs, take out the jets etc and leave submerged for a couple of days. Thinners will clean anything I can assure you.

You don't need any special tools to overhaul these carbs- unless a scredriver is within that category!

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Russ Moore » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:01 pm

Ive just serviced my webbers. Rebuild kit from Mick Miller ?14 each . Motor shops sell tins of carb cleaner . good for inside and out. Spray it through jets etc . you need a w/shop manual for float height settings. Do one at a time.so if your not sure ,youve got one to refer to
Russ Moore
New-tral

PostPost by: chrishewett » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:47 am

Thanks to you all.
Looks like I've got my next job!
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: brassringfarm » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:00 am

By all means do it yourself but check very carefully for ovality in spindle areas. Carb cleaner is great stuff - carcinogenic but great! Adjusting the carbs is also straightforward. I liked the book by Des Hammil for clarity and ease of understanding. It also has a great section on disassembly. Good luck!
Paul Zimmerman
65 S2
brassringfarm
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: