Weber Issue

PostPost by: mark030358 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:58 pm

Have toagree with twincam man. If you dont like the answers dont post.
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:10 am

Calm down lads... a car is a machine. If it fails, there is a reason. Sorry to be analytical, but.. Why has the car been so little used? Because it has a problem perhaps?

The car runs rich to begin with? That goes with twinc territory, that's why we don't need a choke. Pops & bangs after a few miles? Two possibilities - coil (or indeed ignition) breakdown or fuel starvation, both easy to check. Ignition can be checked by substitution & fuel can be checked by dynamic testing..... run the car until the problem occurs, then kill the ignition & dip the clutch - coast to a halt & check fuel levels in the carb bowl. These are the two fundamentals that affect the suck squeeze bang blow cycle. Other problems are more esoteric - 'it heistates on pick up....it runs out of steam at XXXXrpm....there is a strange whiffling sound at partial throttle openings etc etc'

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of EFI, but, carbs are simple at the basic level of running an engine, but extremely complex at getting the best out of it at all performance ranges - something EFI is good at. The QED setup looks great... but so does a Zetec (and I'll bid for your old engine on Ebay!).

Most importantly, if SWMBO is prepared to lop off parts of your anatomy if things go wrong with the car, get a less fickle motor. Don't take the risk....

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: hatman » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:35 pm

Hang on there JJDraper, it really isn't a case of 'calm down lads' - twincamman has done nothing but try to help, whereas LL's post was bang out of order; gratuitously rude and arrogant. From his tone he comes across as the sort of bloke you'd willingly cross the M25 to avoid (and by the way, LL, I imagine what you meant to write was 'aspersions' - hth).

Seems to me that an apology is in order - having already lost Keith, we wouldn't want to risk losing twincamman from this site as well - contributors of their calibre are to be cherished, not driven away. :evil:
Last edited by hatman on Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hatman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:10 pm

FWIW, I'd like to add my two-pennyworth.

In a forum of this kind (where the purpose is to HELP people, by sharing knowledge/experience/advice), there will always be the fact that ANY answer given, is effectively an opinion (some better weighted than others).

I believe the vast majority of replies in this forum are posted with good intent, based on that poster's knowledge and experience. I rely on my (poor) knowledge and the Group's collective (excellent) knowledge to help me interpret any answer to a question of mine.

So, if you post, and don't get the answer or confirmation you expect ...... then you've a decision to make: go elsewhere, or listen (preferably with open ears).

I urge those who feel offended by a reply to their advice, to reconsider a current or potential withdrawl from the Group. We need you people. It's why we are here; It's why the Group is so strong.

I'm sure Jeff will sort out any persistent problem individuals. In the meantime, can we not just ignore them, and carry on as normal?

Sorry to rant.

Regards,

Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:15 pm

FWIW, I'd like to add my two-pennyworth.

In a forum of this kind (where the purpose is to HELP people, by sharing knowledge/experience/advice), there will always be the fact that ANY answer given, is effectively an opinion (some better weighted than others).

I believe the vast majority of replies in this forum are posted with good intent, based on that poster's knowledge and experience. I rely on my (poor) knowledge and the Group's collective (excellent) knowledge to help me interpret any answer to a question of mine.

So, if you post, and don't get the answer or confirmation you expect ...... then you've a decision to make: go elsewhere, or listen (preferably with open ears).

I urge those who feel offended by a reply to their advice, to reconsider a current or potential withdrawl from the Group. We need you people. It's why we are here. It's why the Group is so strong.

I'm sure Jeff will sort out any persistent problem individuals. In the meantime, can we not just ignore them, and carry on as normal?

Sorry to rant.

Regards,

Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: