Fuel tank sender unit

PostPost by: msd1107 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:15 am

Lotus used two types of sender units.

S1-S3 used 036M 6106 which I think was a GM compatible 0-90 ohm unit.

S4 used A036M 6106 which I think read 220-40 ohm or something like that. In other words, they are backward.

Amazingly, the fuel gauge doesn't change part numbers.

Depending on where and how the position to voltage conversion is done, the new unit would read full until almost empty (or the other way around).

The best thing is to get the appropriate sending unit.
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:57 pm

"I think it was a threadlock product by loctite that will withstand petrol."

After much trial and error, mostly error, I found that Permatex Instant Gas Tank Repair worked. It has the consistancy of putty. The Permatex item number is 12020.

Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: wojeepster » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:55 am

Two things first Hylomar is great stuff. On a maniflold gasket it really never hardens and allows you to remove and replace multiple times. It is great. Now if you have ever seen indian head gasket shellac it says "never hardens" and it gets as tough as concrete! Never hardens! Why do they say that? #%! You have to chisel it off! It is brown and nasty and smells but works pretty well if you dont have to remove it.

The local ford dealerships (US don't know about UK) can get the brass floats for the fuel tank. They come two in a package interestingly enough. Look like the dogs danglies. If you have a float with holes in it this makes it an easy fix. I do not know of anywhere else to get them. Bought some to fix a 1965 barracuda float that was made of unobtainium.
wojeepster
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: