Lack of power when turning left?

PostPost by: tdafforn » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:29 pm

After a lot of graft, and many conversations talking to keith I have got the carburation on the twinc going nicely..
picks up from next to no revs in 4th, good progression, good CO and hydrocarbons..
However one thing elludes me..
When I turn a sharp left the car bogs. I can't tell whether its leaning out or flooding (its hard to use a colour tune when driving, and I don't have one of those fancy wideband O analysers).
The car runs of Dells..
Anyone had this problem, and knows how to fix it?
Tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:46 pm

At a guess it sounds like a carb float level problem, or maybe a fuel pickup problem in the tank.

You can run a colour tune while you are driving along - you just need a "helper" who won't let go of the wiper spindles, preferably one with a slimline arse and added lightness so the car's performance isn't affected too much. :D
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:03 pm

When I was a lad my best friends mum couldn't make a left turn without mounting the kerb so whenever she went out she used the A to Z to plan a route so that she only turned right. Maybe this could help with your problem.
As an aside, she was a member of Mensa!
Chris :lol:
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:50 pm

Float levels are fine and the carbs have been rebuilt.
AS to alternative methods to get round it, I go faster into left handers to get over the bogging...
Gets a bit hairy though!
Tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: marcfuller » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:29 pm

Tim, Martin's suggestion of float levels makes a lot of sense. Did you check them in-situ as Keith suggests? I have seen very few that are correct even after a rebuild when measured in-situ.
-Marc '66 Elan DHC (36/6025)
http://www.lotuselan.us
marcfuller
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:22 am

when you say in situ, do you mean putting a rod down the main jet holes and measuring how far the petrol comes up?
tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: marcfuller » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:10 pm

I mean using a clear acrylic rod as per Keith's DCOE tuning paper, to measure how far the fuel level stays below the passageway that connects the well to the auxiliary venturi.

The in-situ measurement allows float level to be set perfectly and takes into account variations in float buoyancy and fuel.
-Marc '66 Elan DHC (36/6025)
http://www.lotuselan.us
marcfuller
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:44 pm

"Anyone had this problem, and knows how to fix it? "

Fit a diesel?

:?
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear