Lubricating a throttle cable

PostPost by: iain.hamlton » Tue May 16, 2006 8:56 am

All,

I have just fitted a new throttle cable - From Paul Matty's. I have lubricated it with some "dry" teflon stuff for bicycle cables (actually it is very runny). Although I am pleased with the result, I beleive the friction could be less still.

Please suggest the ideal lubricant.

Thanks and best regards, iain
iain.hamlton
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Tue May 16, 2006 11:32 am

Iain,

I too got a cable from 'Mattys and found it very rough. Well made but rough. I don't think anybody else's cables are any better.

I eventually scrapped this and went to a good bike shop and bought a teflon coated brake cable.

Throttle is as smooth as a pint of guiness :) . Cable is also a lot more rubust.

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: iain.hamlton » Tue May 16, 2006 11:48 am

Thanks, Hamish.

I saw comments about bike cables, and tried that route. I was not happy with the solution. I cut the cable to length and crimped on the end. It pulled off once, and I was no never confident after that. The Matty's one is stronger.

best regards, iain
iain.hamlton
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Tue May 16, 2006 12:11 pm

Ian,

Try soldering on the end. It's a bit stronger than crimping. :)

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Tue May 16, 2006 6:01 pm

I use white lithium grease to lubricate the cable...

Gary
'71 Elan Sprint
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: poiuyt » Wed May 17, 2006 2:16 pm

There's a product sold in bike shops called Tri-Flow.

This is an ideal lubricant for cables.

Steve B
Steve B.<br>1969 Elan S4
poiuyt
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Wed May 17, 2006 4:21 pm

Before you go to the trouble of lubricating cables & their sheaths, make sure it is worth doing in the first place. I have bought 2 new cables and both were shall we say 'not too high quality'. In fact I sent one back and would have sent the other back if I had not damaged the adjuster thread trying to fit the damned thing in the first place :x . (It turned out it was the wrong thread to begin with and the spanner slipped on the adjuster nut)

I have come to the conclusion that if I visit a good bike shop I can do a hell of a lot better than the so called 'new' manufactured throttle cables. I use a break cable (which is very strong) and whats more if you get a good make such a Shimano it is very smooth and virtually friction free.

I just don't rate the ones you can get from the usual suspects.

Hamish.
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: iain.hamlton » Thu May 18, 2006 1:59 pm

Some success.

I put loads of Halfords bicycle "dry" lubricatant down the cable, then dribbled EP90 down until it appeared at the other end. Now it is much better, if not as smooth as silk. I'll be looking for Shimano parts next time.

Thanks for your help, iain
iain.hamlton
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: