Flat Free???????????

PostPost by: Jason1 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:14 pm

Hi

I saw this product called 'Flat Free' on one of the home shopping channels (I was channel hopping). Has anyone used it? Is it any good?

It looked very impressive on the TV but I do not buy off of the TV as I have a job and am not married to my cousin (see Trisha (UK) or Jerry Springer (USA)) :lol: :lol:

It is a fluid that you put via the tyre valve into the tyre and when an item puntures the tyre the fluid oozes out and hardens sealing the hole. I was thinking it would be really handy if you have alloys, as over time the bead fails to seal and you have to have the wheels refurbished or renew then.

I have seen the 'instant spare' stuff before which is just a foam that hardens in the tyre, but this is something different that is permanent.

It seems it is available on ebay or from certain firms on the web.

http://www.netparts.co.uk/store/index.p ... MAodDV8Uwg

There are a couple of guys on the +2 posts that could have used it and I have a Mini Cooper that has a similar problem at the moment :)

Really I want to know if the seal lasts (my wife drives the car and I do not want to kill her just yet) and if the fuild un-balances the wheel????

Anyone know????

Thanks

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:12 pm

This stuff is apparently water soluble so that permanent repairs are easy. Use the foam stuff and most places won't even contemplate fixing a puncture and charge for cleaning the crap off the wheel rim. Bit of a bugger when Lotus don't supply spare wheels on the Elise/Exige so the foam stuff is the only answer other than calling out a recovery service.

I think there was some discussion of the pros and cons of this new stuff a few weeks ago on either seloc or the british cars bbs. Can't recall which and it might have been a couple of months ago.

http://forums.seloc.org/today.php

http://www.british-cars.co.uk/cgi-bin/g ... g=lotusbbs

You have to be a member - free of charge to read seloc and be a member, again free to read the message archives on the british cars bbs.
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:29 pm

Jason1 wrote:I do not buy off of the TV as I have a job and am not married to my cousin (see Trisha (UK) or Jerry Springer (USA)) :lol: :lol: Jason

Why............ is your cousin a male or female.......and has he/she been abducted by alians to the mother ship.....or do they just own a Lotus as well :lol: :lol:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:53 am

I would be wary of putting anything in a tyre that could cause imbalance, particularly given the sensitivity of a Lotus to out-of-balance rotating parts. :)

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: