plus 2 S on dellortos

PostPost by: doclip » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:27 pm

Does anyone know how many plus 2 S cars were originally specced on dellortos rather than the std issue weber DCOE 40s -strangely enough my previous 69 Elan FHC S4 SE was on dellortos as was my old twincam 7 -doeelortos are much easier to keep tuned
Also how can one find out if plus2 S is the std 118 bhp small vavle spec or the 130 big valve spec -where would this be dcoumented or can it be traced from the VIN number
doclip
New-tral

PostPost by: M100 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:27 pm

Even Lotus probably won't know the numbers produced with each carb version.

The +2S has the small valve engine, the +2S130/4 and +2S130/5 have the big valve engines.

There might be a letter stamped in the circular raised boss in the spark plug well.

If it's stamped N (it might look like a Z) then its a big valve engine, if it's any other letter then post it back here and someone (maybe even me) can look it up in the appropriate reference book

Your engine number prefix letter is also useful for determining the original engine spec.
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: doclip » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:08 pm

Ok thanks for this
doclip
New-tral

PostPost by: doclip » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:10 pm

Chassis - 0539L7 100C
Engine P28248

Can you tell from this info ?
i'm assuming its small valve
doclip
New-tral

PostPost by: doclip » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:12 pm

Has anyone out there ever seen a plus 2S on dellortos rather than weber 40s ?
doclip
New-tral

PostPost by: M100 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:29 pm

According to the Miles Wilkins book on the twin cam (page 180-183) a "P" prefix means:

Engine type/Market : Big valve Weber Domestic (i.e. UK) emissions spec
Application/Year: +2S 130 late 1970
Head stamp: "N" i.e. high compression and big valves
Camshafts: "D" i.e. Sprint type (2 groove)
Cam cover: Black ribbed

Don't take all that as gospel because the engine on my sprint has an "N" prefix and according to that list it should have Webers but it's been on Dellortos from day 1.

Your engine might have had a head swap though if you can't see the stamp, the only sure fire way though is to remove it and measure the inlet valves.
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Madbury » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:43 pm

doclip wrote:Has anyone out there ever seen a plus 2S on dellortos rather than weber 40s ?

Yep everyday when I walk out of my house and look at mine :)

Are there any small valve heads that also have the N? I thought the N was specific to the big valve heads.

To my eyes the Dellortos look to be very similar in operation to the Webers. I know most people prefer the webers though. I'd be interested to know why?
Madbury
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: thor » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:22 pm

Me too with a +2S130/5 on Dellortos, very happy with them too..though only in my second year of ownership.
I'm used to rattly Triumphs with SU's and Strombergs, so thank god there hasn't been any adjustment needed!
Thor Svaboe
1973 +2S130/5 white/silver

http://thorsvaboe.googlepages.com
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:17 pm

Dellortos on a +2s130 ('73)...
Work well apart from a bit of hesitation sometimes
tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:41 am

"To my eyes the Dellortos look to be very similar in operation to the Webers. I know most people prefer the webers though. I'd be interested to know why?"

In Australia at least Webers have been historically preferred because of , brand recognition, easier spare part availability and greater knowledge about them at dyno tuning shops and the like. Personally I believe the Dellortos are a nicer made carb and I have them on my Plus 2 and Esprit. But I have stayed with Webers on the Elan due to race regulations.

In practice the differences are small and make no signficant difference in real world performance or reliability or ease of setup when comparing a later model Weber with a similar Dellorto.

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ed_vh » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:35 pm

My car is known form new and came with dellortoes. I am very happy with them. Just got the car going after being untouched for 2 years and it ticked over from first start!
ed_vh
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:11 pm

doclip wrote:Has anyone out there ever seen a plus 2S on dellortos rather than weber 40s ?

Both my plus 2's have had d'ellortos. First one a 73 +2s 130/5 and my current one a 72 +2s 130/5.
Reckon Lotus used D'ellorto's when they had an argument about cost and delivery of Weber's at the time.
Regards
Jeff
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Dave-M » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:30 pm

I rember way back in the early 70's the market was flooded with 40 dcoe's, reputedly from Lotus. Don't know why but I bought a few pairs for peanuts.
This might account for the Dellorto change around this time
Regards
dave
Dave-M
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Madbury » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:25 pm

rgh0 wrote:"In practice the differences are small and make no signficant difference in real world performance or reliability or ease of setup when comparing a later model Weber with a similar Dellorto.

regards
Rohan

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I've certainly had no real complaints from my Dellorto's although I'm certain they're not setup to their full potential. Certainly too rich at idle for starters. Whilst there is a wealth of info on tuning and setting up Webers is there a difinitive book on the Dellortos?
Madbury
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:39 pm

Hi.

I bought "How to build and power tune Weber and Dellorto DCOE, DCO/SP & DHLA carburettors" from ebay. Author is Des Hammill. Published by Veloce. ISBN 1-903706-75-0.

I have the third edition. I've found the book to be very informative, and the tune up procedure worked a treat with my own Dellorto carbs.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: