Fuel Smells on fast right handers

PostPost by: gav » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:35 am

I went for a blast yesterday and suffered very strong petrol smells on fast right handers and round abouts. (please dont bother with the drive slower comments - I only open it up when it is safe to do so)

This problem has been with me for a while and so far I have restricted the breather to the fuel tank (which is probably too large anyway), checked the fuel pressure from the electric pump (3 psi) and re levelled the carb floats. The misabs seem to be correctly set.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:35 am

can't remember which side the filler is on a +0. but on the +2 it leaks on right handers and you get a whiff..
Tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:40 am

Potentially comes from the cold start air intakes in the Webers. The pistons dont seal properly in most of the carbs on the road today and fuel comes out in fast right handers.

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:57 am

Thanks chaps

Are there solutions to either syndrome?

Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:22 pm

Hi,
If it is from the filler, check the filler gasket is not cracked. Otherwise, one of the guys on here had an internal bung made with some O-rings, that seemed to work
Cheers
Tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:52 pm

I don't normally have my Sprint filled up past half-way, but recently I almost completely filled it to the brim.

Previously vitually no smell of petrol, but since filling it up that much it has become quite noticeable.

Might be a coincidence, but I'm waiting to see if it goes away with a lower level in the tank.

Come to think of it, I could always get out there and burn it off, rather than wait for it to evapourate <g>! And it is a nice evening for a blat.

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:11 am

Gavin

Unusual to have a fuel tank leak in an Elan in RH corners as the filler is on the RH side of the tank. Usual in a PLus 2 as the filler is on the LH side and the tank mounted much higher relative to the mouth of the filler in a plus 2.

To determine if you have leaks from the carbs, feel underneath for evaporated petrol residue on the base of the carbs. If you can wipe off any trace of a thick oily fluid with the same colour as your petrol then you have a fuel leak somewhere.

Leaks from the carbs drop straight on to the distributor and starter and need immediate attention to avoid fires.

You can fix the leak from the cold starter system air intakes a number of ways.

1. If you use the cold start system ( most people do not) then you need to properly overhaul the cold start pistons and their sealing seats so they dont leak. Probably a job for an experience weber carb overhaul shop unless you know what your doing.

2. If you dont use the cold start system then you can replace the pistons with sealing plugs or seal the existing pistons in place closed with some type of sealant so they do not leak or do what I did and just seal off the air vents with a gasket and suitable sealant, I used a oil resistant silicone sealant.

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: