Fuel Pump

PostPost by: chrishewett » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:37 pm

I have just removed the webers from my +2s130 and thought I would have a look at the fuel pump. In the manuel the only pump described has a domed glass top cover. Mine doesnt have this.
Does anyone have an idea what pump I have and is it an original fitting?
I had thought to overhaul it while the carbs are off.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:45 pm

IMHO blank off the mechanical pump and fit an electric one :D

BTW you can get the blanking plate from QED.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:05 pm

Chris,

The mechanical pump is probably a replacement one (most of them didn't have glass domes). If it fails it will leak petrol into the engine and dilute the oil. Not good for a twink!

I replied to your message but forgot to mention blocking off the mechanical mounting point. Thanks steveww!

Hamish.

:)
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:54 pm

I agree with Steve. I blanked mine off with a nice aluminum cover and have an electric pump in the boot. Much quicker to start, especially when it is hot, as it often is here in Forida.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Matt7c » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:52 pm

I have no desire to buck the trend of these responses, or make any recommendation, however, I did notice an original type fuel pump on ebay earlier this evening - glass domed and brand new I think. If you are interested, do a search for 105E and you'll find it.
1965 Elan S2
Matt7c
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:18 pm

The original pumps (with the glass bowl) were made by AC Delco (as were the airboxes). I have never had any problems with mine and the glass bowl has beeen quite useful at times when trying to work out why the car would not start. The glass dome seals on a rubber gasket in much the same way as the top of the 'flat' type so I don't see why it should leak any more than the others. There is also a filter in the dome to stop junk from the fuel tank blocking the carbs.

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: