safety fuel tank

PostPost by: rdssdi » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:03 pm

Has anyone replaced the standard Elan +2 fuel tank with a fuel ccell ? With a new aluminium reproduction?

I am planning to replace the standard tank with a safety cell. I will send a drawing to Fuel Safe here in the U.S. for a quote.

Any suggestions?

Bob
1969 Elan +2

Also, I have been unable to get my replies posted to the "Boot Interior" thread. I would be greatly appreciative of a photo and drawing of the rear fiinisher.
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mushtak » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:30 am

I replaced the original fuel tank on my +2 with an aluminum reproduction. I sent my original to a fella & he replicated a new one for me from scratch & I must say it is superb. It cost me a total of ?190 including the shipping & it fitted perfectly.
He offered three choices of tank. A standard tasnk, a tan with baffles & one with foam. I think the foam filled tank came in at ?220. I can send you photos if you want.
Mushtak
New-tral

PostPost by: ppnelan » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:44 am

If it's to the original shape, make sure you get either baffles (as on the original steel one) or foam filled, otherwise you may be 'sucking air' under acceleration/cornering. :wink:

Or, alternatively, you can make sure it's ALWAYS at least 1/4 full...:!:
(I speak from experience - beware of dodgy foreigners wandering round the Donnington Lotus Show selling a 'custom-made' aluminium tank for peanuts... It looked good, but the pick-up pipe was nearly welded shut too !)

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:44 pm

I am now getting prices to have a bladder and foam added to the original tank. This involves removal of the filler side of the tank and replacing it with a flange and new cover. The new cover will have the safety cell bladder nut plate attached to it. The inner baffles, OEM fuel sender port, OEM fuel outlet and drain valve all have to be removed and finished flush. A small nut plate is attached to the top of the tank for the new fuel level sender.

Of concern is the rate the foam will absorb the fuel introduced through the side filler. As it is already a slow affair, I wonder if the addition of the foam bladder and flap valve will further slow filling the tank. I expect a 15% loss in capacity from the addition of the foam.

The tank is now a container for the bladder but must be kept air tight as the bladder is permiable to fuel vapor. Furthermore the bladder has a 5 yaer life expectaancy. Water and alchohol additives may shorten that figure. This is turning into an expensive expeiment.

bob

I wonder if the extra safety is woth the expense.
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:14 am

My 2 cents worth on Plus 2 fuel tanks

The Plus 2 fuel tank is in a very safe location between the rear suspension towers compared to the Elans tank. On my Elan for racing I have fitted a smaller safety cell (foam filled plastic tank in a stainless steel casing) that creates some crush space between the tank and the rear of the car for this reason.

For a plus 2 if the original tank is in good condition the increment in safety from a foam filled bladder tank has got to be small compared to all the other risks involved in driving a Lotus. Fitting a plumbed in fire extinguisher system is probably cheaper and more effective than a special bladder and foam filling of the original tank.

If the tank is in poor condition replacing it with a new foam filled tank or a suitable standard safety cell that fits in the space may be effective compared to a new standard tank for the cost and safety increment involved.

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:02 am

I am uncertain of the condition of my original tank. It appears fine but is dry and was not connected when I purchased the car.

I agree with you regarding the location of the tank being safe. I am unaware of new fuel tanks that are offereed.

Do you knoww if anyone offers an aftermarker replacement for the +2 tank?

Thanks

Bob
1969 Elan +2 (LHD Federal)
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:05 pm

Dont know if anybody is making specific replacement tanks for a plus 2 but lots of fabricators around that will make a foam filled tank to order based on your original sample, you should be able to find someone local to you.

I presume you could also source replacement tanks from people like Spyder or others in the UK.

The special race safety cell makers may also have a standard cell that fits in the space available. Attached a photo of the ATL cell in my Elan

regards
Rohan
Attachments
fueltank.jpg and
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:40 pm

This man is soon to be making Plus2 petrol tanks - ?230
He makes racing ones too, so maybe he could fit a bladder while he's at it.

www.andywiltshire.com

Have ordered an Elan one so will let you all know the quality.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &rd=1&rd=1
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: