Fuel Line replacement

PostPost by: hethelfan » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:30 pm

I bought some new plastic fuel line at Stoneleigh to replace the old stuff.
Looking underneath the car, it seems to run inside the chassis member the length of the car.
Is it a straight forward job replacing it? and any tips.

jamie
hethelfan
New-tral

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:03 pm

I think this is one of those jobs that if it isn't broken, dont fix it. Maybe you should read the following thread

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14053

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:13 pm

As stated, the fuel line does run through the two openings on the upper right corner of the bulkheads at either end of the tunnel. When replacing my old, hard, brittle line (body off, new galvanized chassis), I ran a piece of lightweight PVC tubing between these two holes so that it would contain the new, flexible hose. I fabricated a clamp to hold it against the tunnel "roof" at the original spot and secured the ends with strong adhesive. Chafing is minimized by stabilizing the fuel line with RTV where it exits the tubing.

Although the mounting point for the "midway" clamp is accessible with the tunnel cover removed, this wouldn't be easy with the body in place.
Art Frederick
S2 Roadster, built in 1965, registered in 1966, No. 26/4934
Nothing else of interest at present
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: kenny » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:33 pm

This is a problem. I look at that I have only 2 options. One is to run a good quality aeroquip braided line secured to the outside of backbone and away from exhaust.
Second is to utilise the other unused handbrake cable holes on passenger side of lower backbone as suggested. The only problem with this method is that after 2 days trying I still haven't managed to thread my handbrake cable through yet :( and don't fancy having this scenario again. Why the hell did put the body on first before the lines, it beats me that one.

Anyway good luck with your attempts and I'd be interested to here what folks think for other routes for fuel.

Kenny.
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:47 pm

I have re run my fuel line in the correct location by feeding some wire through the old pipe and into the new. the old and new were joined using a push fit connector from my Mity Vac kit but accessory shops sell joiners for a couple of quid if you havent one hanging around. The old pipe is then pulled through into the engine bay with an able bodied assistant guiding/pushing the new pipe into the rear of the chassis. I didnt have a prob with the clips inside the chassis on mine, there was enough slack to allow the pipe through. The wire is a belt and braces back up in case the joiner separates.

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:48 pm

I ran an aerosuip braided line through my Spyder chassis. I riveted Adel clamps to the top of the backbone. I cannot remmber if the inside of the backbone is accessible in an OEM chassis.

If you can reach inside to blind rivet the clamps and line it would make a neat solution.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:17 pm

My car came from the factory with the plastic fuel line routed through the right hand bottom holes in the backbone bulkheads. The brake line was routed under the backbone on the same side. I re-routed the brake line through the left hand top holes in the backbone bulkheads and a new metal fuel line (made out of brake pipe) was re-routed through the right hand top holes in the backbone bulkheads. In both cases, rubber grommets were utilized in the holes. Because the metal fuel line is rigid, it is not difficult to re-route it despite the body remaining on the chassis. This new metal fuel line is connected to the metal fuel tank line (same size) via a compression fitting. After it exits the front bulkhead, the metal fuel line terminates and a piece of rubber fuel line is clamped on to compensate for the movement of the engine. The other end of this rubber fuel line is clamped to a short piece of brake pipe which is connected to the fuel pump after it is double flared.

The result is, all the plastic in the fuel line has been eliminated and the new fuel line, which is now primarily metal, is shorter as it is mounted near the top of the backbone, away from the road. A worthwhile improvement for a very small cash outlay.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kenny » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:03 am

Frank, interesting point about your original fuel pipe being factory mounted in the lower holes on passenger side .(guess some apprentice forgot to put the thing in when at bare chassis stage :wink: )

This position seems like my only option to route mine with the body on, I also like your idea re. the solid pipe with the flexis to pump and tank.

My Lotus replacemnt chassis has the bottom plate incorporated down the full length of the backbone making access a nightmare, but if I choose this route for fuel it would be protected from road dirt etc.

My only concern is the propshaft. Can anyone see a problem with routing the line in the passenger side lower holes, and Frank would you have changed yours if chassis was encapsulated at the bottom like mine? Out of interest why is my chassis solid at the bottom, my mates replacement is open as per originals!

Thanks,

Kenny

PS I seem to worry too much about things like this on the Elan. On the Caterhams the fuel line was just slung underneath and open to all weathers and hazzards or am I just chasing originality..........it slows the job down I know that :(
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:21 am

"This position seems like my only option to route mine with the body on, I also like your idea re. the solid pipe with the flexis to pump and tank."

Kenny,

I installed flexible rubber brake hose between the main metal pipe and a short piece of metal pipe going into the pump. Because the pipe doesn't move relevant to the tank, I connected those two via a compression fitting, not a rubber hose.

"My Lotus replacemnt chassis has the bottom plate incorporated down the full length of the backbone making access a nightmare..."

If you use flexible plastic pipe, it will be difficult to install it using the upper bulkhead holes, but if you use rigid metal brake pipe, it will be a lot easier.

"... Frank would you have changed yours if chassis was encapsulated at the bottom like mine?"

Mine is an original chassis so it is encapsulated (thanks Rohan). In addition, it is almost a straight shot from the fuel tank outlet through the upper bulkhead holes. I guess I believe that the shorter and more direct the fuel line is, the better. Probably doesn't matter that much though.
Last edited by Frank Howard on Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:55 am

Kenny

The orginal Lotus chassis and Lotus replacement chassis that have a solid bottom closing plate to the backbone. It is the Spyder replacements that have holes in the bottom closing plate for better access to the backbone tunnel.

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: